4

"You said what to him?" Jil asked, her eyes wide as I helped her sweep the break room. I held my head in my hands as she continued to clean. "I know. I know Jil, it was a bitch move. I just- something about her. I'm telling you she's not right for Harry."

"What and you are?"

I gasped, my tongue feeling like it was too big for my mouth. I chuckled, my face turning red. "What are you joking? He's my best friend I don't wanna- I wouldn't- I didn't say that."

"I'm not dumb Veronica. All you ever do is talk about Harry, you know. Harry did this, Harry did that, im so pissed at Harry, Harry did something so sweet today. Like we get it, you're into him. Do something about it."

It felt like I was struck by lightning, as I stood there silent, frozen, staring at Jil with my jaw to the floor. She paused and looked at me as if she was surprised I didn't realize what she was talking about. "What this is a surprise to you? You really couldn't tell?" I shook my head quickly, "He's my friend."

"Friend who you like."

No. No. No. No. No this isn't happening. It cant, i don't like him. "I'm just being a little protective over him, like any friend would do." Jil walked towards me, placing her hands on my cheeks cupping my face to calm me down. Her eyes looked into mine, "Honey, i know this may be a lot for you. But just think about what I said, even if you don't like him and I'm wrong, be happy for him yeah?"

I nodded, my eyes wide as she tapped my cheek and told me to clock out, saying it's late.

I grabbed my phone and texted Harry.

R- Hey are u here

H- omw

R- ok
R- sorry about this morning

H- it's ok

He arrived a few minutes later, and i got into the car. It was awkward, and i hated it.

"Harry?" He hummed a response, and Jill's words didn't stop running through my head.

"We're friends right?" I said, sounding like some dumb insecure girl. He looked at me as if I was crazy, "Of course, Ron. Why do you ask?" I looked away, "No reason."

We got home, Harry's mom being out for the next two days, work thing apparently. I sat on the couch, being exhausted from running around throughout the day, putting on a random movie and staring blankly. I assumed Harry had went to bed after about forty minutes, until I heard him come downstairs, making me look his way. He had sweatpants and an old sweater of his in his hands, throwing them my way as he sat down towards me.

I was still in my work clothes I realized, thanking him as I took off my shirt, my tank top underneath staying on and threw the sweater on. I left to put the sweatpants on and sat back down, my eyelids feeling heavy.

"I care about you, Ronnie. I don't wanna bring someone over who you may not like." Harry said after a few minutes, i went to argue saying I didn't not like Cheryl but he stopped me, "Don't say anything, just go to sleep. Come here." He pulled me down, laying my head on his lap as he played with my hair.

This wasn't strange for us, he did this everytime it was hard for me to sleep. But it felt different today, i don't know if it was because of what Jil said, but it was different.