Nobody's Coming for Me

Legolas awoke to darkness. All he could see was black and the green and purple spots swimming before his eyes left over from sleep. He moved his hand to rub his eyes and noticed the shackle around his wrist. He started, and felt tears come to his eyes.

"Elladan? Elrohir?" Legolas called, experimentally.

He was met with not the voices of the twins, but the heavy footsteps of Orcs in an unseen hallway. Suddenly the door to the cell opened and flooded his eyes with firelight. He tried to shield his face but the chains held down his wrist. The Orcs laughed and strode forward to their captive.

"Such a pret'y littl' Elf," one Orc sneered. "Wat'll we do wit' 'im?"

The other Orcs just laughed and closed the door. They lit some torches on the wall and the room brightened. Spots swam in front of Legolas' eyes from the sudden light and he closed them tightly. The Orcs unchained his wrists, but held him tightly. They bent him over a table present and chained him so that he lay on his stomach, his back exposed. An Orc took a whip from the wall and began to beat Legolas with it. Legolas thought he would be able to take a beating, but the whip was covered with barbs. They tore at his flesh and he couldn't suppress a scream of agony. The second time, he was somewhat prepared for it and was able to bring his noise down to a mere moan or quiet wail.

They will come for me. Legolas told himself. They will come. I just have to hold out.

~~

Elladan heard Legolas' scream, and all the moans and wails afterward. Guilt clenched at his heart as he listened. He had made Legolas run. He had made it so that Legolas was captured. He had dealt the card that was bringing this pain to Legolas. He wanted to cry. Before he let that dam break, he spoke to his father.

Adar {Father}! Can you hear me?

I hear you, Elladan. Elrond responded. We're on our way. We can see the mountains now, but the cave is hidden inside them. I cannot see it yet.

They have Legolas. They... they're torturing him. I don't know how long he'll hold. I assume he's in the cell next to mine. I can't get the door open, though. Adar {Father}, I'm scared.

We're coming, ion-nin {my son}. Hold on.

Elladan broke the connection and sunk into the wall behind him. He closed his eyes and began to sob. He'd done this to his betrothed. No. His beloved. If Elladan was honest with himself, he had come to enjoy waking up with Legolas next to him. He had come to enjoy Legolas' antics and humor. He had come to love the innocence of the fair Prince of Mirkwood. But he'd hurt that. He'd hidden it, trying to convince himself that it wasn't real. He'd let his anger fuel that belief and now the Orcs were killing the one he'd come to love. He hadn't even told Legolas.

~~

Legolas was beginning to pray for death. He felt a burning all over. He knew the barbs were poisoned. He felt pain in his head and it was making it hard to judge time. He'd fallen sleep quite a few times. He kept reminding himself that Elrond and the twins would be there soon. But after a while he began to doubt that anyone was coming. He laid on the floor, immobile, his back torn open and bleeding.

He heard the door open, and Legolas turned his head to face it, but was greeted with black. He was kicked in face and rolled backward into the wall. How had he not seen the Orc? The door was open. There should've been light. What was...? He'd been poisoned. His head hurt. What if they'd poisoned him with something that had blinded him? NO! That couldn't happen!

No! No no no! Elladan! Where are you! I'm sorry! Please! Please... Legolas let out a dry sob. No one's coming.

~~

Elladan was startled out of his sleep when his cell door opened. He shielded his eyes from the light as two figures were thrown into the cell. Elladan sat still as a stone until he heard a voice.

"Elladan? Are you in here?" his twin's voice came.

"Elrohir!" Elladan called.

Elrohir crawled forward until he met his brother's hands. They embraced and wept over each other. Elrond found his children and put a hand on each of their shoulders. Elladan embraced his father and began to sob.

"Oh, Ada {Father}, this is all my fault! I shouldn't have yelled at him. I've killed him!"

Elrond felt his insides twist, "Nay, Elladan. Legolas is alive. They will not have killed him yet. We still have time."

Elladan soon calmed and they began to plan out their escape.

A/N Like the pic? I thought it illustrated Legolas horror at being left alone with no one to rescue him pretty well without it being such a dark setting. More to come!!