To Mirkwood

The first few days of marriage were great. Legolas and Elladan were happy, and so was everyone around them. But then it came time for the travels home. It was all well until the Mirkwood party ran back to Rivendell two days later in dire need of help. They had been attacked by Orcs just outside of the boarder of Rivendell. Everyone had made it out alive, but Queen Gilowien was gravely wounded and needed medical attention.

Everyone was upset. But no one was more upset than Legolas. He hadn't seen his mother in almost a year and now he might lose her forever. Elladan and Thranduil took turns spending time with Legolas. They would sit with him and just hold him or take him for walks in the woods. It was a week before any news of Gilowien's health was revealed.

Legolas was pacing his room. Elladan and Thranduil sat on a couch together, neither one able to come up with any more ways to soothe the Prince. But they didn't have to try any longer because there was a sudden knock at the door. Legolas took five long strides to the door and opened it. Elrond stood there, looking quite disheveled, but very relieved as well.

"Elrond! Please, come in," Legolas greeted, opening the door wider.

Elladan and Thranduil stood up as the healer walked into the room.

"Sit down, everyone," Elrond ordered, and everyone did. "Gilowien is in good health. She will recover and will be fit for journeying in another two weeks."

Legolas sighed with relief and slumped into Elladan, who lowered his mate so that Legolas' head rested on Elladan's lap. Thranduil also sighed with relief. He put a hand on Elrond's arm.

"Thank you, mellon nin {my friend}," Thranduil regarded.

"You are most certainly welcome. But, when you arrive in Mirkwood, I don't want her to be up and about for another few months. It will take a long time for her to fully heal."

Thranduil nodded, and then asked, "But who will run my kingdom with me. She does so much!"

"I can do it, Adar {Father}," Legolas offered, sitting up. "I know what she does. I could help."

"No, Legolas."

"Why?"

"You have a husband now. You need to stay with him."

Legolas' face fell. He wanted to help, but this was what always happened. His father found some excuse to deny him. But this time, Elladan came to his rescue.

"My King, Legolas should go," Elladan said. "He knows what he'll be doing and it will be alright. We can keep in touch. He won't be gone too long."

Thranduil frowned, but reluctantly agreed.

The next few weeks went too fast for Elladan and Legolas. They spent all of their time together, but it was never enough. The next few months would be hard.

"I'll write you," Legolas had said before he left.

And indeed they wrote, all the time. But one day a letter came to Elladan that he had never expected or wanted.

Dearest Elladan,

It pains me to write this letter. It truly does. The darkness is spreading through my home. Mirkwood is becoming more dangerous by the day. I cannot come home as soon as I'd hoped. Naneth {Mother} is back doing her duties, and Adar {Father} has named me captain of the guard. It hurts to not come home to you, meleth nin {my love}. The forest is too dangerous to travel right now. But I will come as soon as I can. I love you. I miss you. Cormamin niuve tenna' ta elea lle au'. Lissenen ar' maska'lalaith tenna' lye omentuva {My heart shall weep until it sees thee again. Sweet water and light laughter until we next meet}.

Legolas

Elladan wept bitter tears that night. He knew his love was trapped in his home and was possibly just as distraught, but that didn't help. In fact, he would have to wait nearly eighty years before he saw Legolas again.

WWWWOOOOOOO!! Two updates today! I'm happy. Okay , so, yeah, this is set 20 years before The Hobbit and therefore 80 years before The Fellowship of the Ring. I BET YOU ALL THOUGHT I WAS GONNA KILL LEGOLAS' NANETH DIDN'T YOU!!?? Haha! No, I couldn't do that. Besides, I don't think she ever died. In fact, she isn't mentioned in the books, so she may be alive. She just wouldn't be relevant enough to be mentioned. Anyway, love you guys.

Two more things. Thank you to NolwenTurgon for being the first to comment on my last chapter.

Go and check out suprrgurl! She is just awesome and is very deserving for your follows, votes, comments, and reads!