Boundaries

"You are an interesting case, Lord Vader." Luke admitted, looking through the information he'd collected on his datapad.

"What did you call me?!"

It was a struggle to keep a neutral expression. He'd never met anyone quite so...touchy. "You are well known enough that I can answer some of the standard questions I'm supposed to go through in this initial session. That's all I meant."

Vader crossed his arms over his chest. With the mask, he couldn't tell if he'd successfully placated him or not. "Good. Then we will not waste any further time."

Luke tried to ignore the simmering anger in Vader's voice. Was that even his voice? It sounded like there was some kind of vococorder in the helmet. Perhaps it was part of his medical condition?

"For example." He continued. "I know you started your job about the same time as when the Empire was formed. But I don't know where you were born, or where you are from. Let's start with that. Where are you from?"

There. An easy question to begin with. It could be answered in less than five words, if he so wished.

Apparently, Luke was very wrong.

"You do not need information like that!" Vader snarled, taking a threatening step towards him, shoving a pointed finger his direction. "You do not need any of my personal information!"

Luke took a long, silent, deep breath to steady himself.

"Often even simple personal details like where we come from can be major factors in not only our mental health, but also our decision making."

"I assure you, where I am from has no bearing on my actions!"

Luke lifted a brow. "Then it shouldn't be an issue telling me."

Vader was silent, save for the respirator, and Luke got the distinct impression he was being glared at.

"If it helps, anything you say in our session is confidential."

"Good."

There was no further elaboration. Luke decided to write To be determined next to that question.

"How old are you?" Surely, that was simple enough. Age wasn't a secret for most people...except his aunt who refused to say she was over the age of twenty eight every single year on her birthday.

"Why do you need to know that?!"

Yet again. He was way wrong. This was small talk conversation and already Vader was acting like he'd started digging at his deepest secrets.

Maybe he was.

"Challenges and priorities change as we move into different age groups."

"I have defeated every challenge, and the ones I have not yet defeated I am well on my way to doing so."

Luke was pretty sure he was only focusing on the military challenges.

"Lord Vader." Luke leaned forward, placing the datapad on his desk. "You indicated that you would be willing to give this a try--"

"Willing is a generous word."

"...I am aware. Still, you did indicate that. And if we're going to have any chance of anything being effective, you need to at least try to answer some basic questions."

"The questions are stupid."

"Regardless, there is a reason for it. Do you berate your doctors when you go see them?"