Home

"I don't want you to go." Leia wrapped her arms around his torso, hugging Luke as though she were afraid that he'd disappear from the galaxy the moment he boarded Kenobi's ship. They stood in the hangar. He'd already had numerous Rebels he'd "therapy'ed," as Piett called it, approach him to thank him or wish him well, and there were a few in the hangar still giving him a look that said they were considering begging him to stay as well. Piett was already loaded onto the ship, doing much better after bacta treatment, and Luke had a feeling he hadn't wanted to witness whatever happened between the children of his boss.

He hugged her back. Tightly, reassuringly, even if he was looking forward to being home, a home that his twin detested and actively fought against.

"I know. I'm sorry that we don't live in a galaxy where we can be together, but maybe one day soon it will be."

Leia let him go enough so that she could look up at him and search his face. "It could be right now. I could tighten security, maybe even train you to use the Force for defense–"

"Why does everyone want to train me in the Force?"

"It would make you safer, not only from anyone who wishes to harm you, but from anyone trying to turn you to the Dark Side."

Luke couldn't help but snort. "I'm covered on that front, believe me."

Leia frowned, her brows creasing in concern. "I want to believe you. I'm...I'm going to have to. Against my better judgement, I agreed to let you go back."

"And I thank you for that," he said earnestly, giving her shoulders a squeeze. It was strange to feel so natural despite their many differences. "I need to be there for him, Leia. It's the best place for me to use my talents."

She shook her head. "You're too optimistic. You could stay and keep helping here–you've already done so much in such a short time."

"I could. Under normal circumstances, I might've taken you up on that offer. Honestly, it sounds far less stressful, weirdly enough. But these aren't normal circumstances, are they?"

She gazed at him, searching for any doubts, then sighed and let him go. "If you change your mind, I've asked Obi-Wan to give you an encrypted comm. Call the frequency on it, and I'll find a way to get you out. I promise."

Luke believed her. Somehow, she seemed just as stubborn and capable as Vader, and if it meant taking on the Emperor herself just to get him out, he had no doubt she'd do it and win.

"Thanks Leia, and...I'll try to convince Vader to let Kenobi come back."

Leia's expression darkened. "I don't think even you can influence that, Luke. After what Obi-Wan did to him, and I'm sure he views us as being kidnapped by him...I don't think Vader will forgive so easily." She was sure to keep her voice low so others couldn't overhear.

"So you're okay with letting him go with me?"

"I need you to be protected. If something were to happen...well, Vader wouldn't be the only one upset. Besides, Obi-Wan said he needed to face Vader. He's apparently put it off too long, or so he said."

Luke didn't miss the worry there in her expression, but she quickly hid it.

"Nonetheless," he said with a tight smile, "I'll do what I can. I promise."

Leia sighed. "Your optimism is going to get you killed one day, I hope you know that."

"I have faith that it won't," he grinned, "but if it does...you can tell me you told me so after you've lived a long and healthy life."