The Accident

Vader was quite pleased with his newfound collection of Luke holos. He'd copied everything Beru showed him–everything from Luke as a baby, Luke as an awkward pre-teen, Luke as a teenager, and all the way through days before Luke had left for school. There were a few holos Luke clearly didn't care for, such as a few bath holos, some school holos with some funny faces, and a holo of him stuck upside down in a sofa. He asked, "Are you sure you want to copy those?"

"I have never been so certain," Vader informed him. He was already making plans to place some of his newly acquired holos in areas where he worked a significant amount of time.

What he didn't point out though was that Luke had always appeared far younger than he actually was, to the point that Beru had labeled his age on many of the holos so that she wouldn't forget. He couldn't help but wonder if Leia had been the same...but those holos were gone, destroyed with Alderaan.

He tried not to think about that. For now, he could be pleased with what he could have of his children's past.

It was as he was finishing that he got the text holo from Piett– The Emperor has arrived.

A feeling of anger and dread washed over him so hard and so fast, Luke stopped talking to Owen to look at him with concern–a reminder that even if he didn't understand the Force, he still very keenly felt it. Vader himself stretched out into the Force and, sure enough, he could sense the Emperor's greasy black presence far above them.

"It is time." He announced, standing. "The Emperor has come."

Luke's expression darkened, and he nodded before giving his aunt and uncle a hug.

"Are you sure Luke will be safe?" Beru asked as she held Luke so tight, the boy made an involuntary noise.

"I will protect him." Of that, he was absolutely certain. Of killing the Emperor...

It had to be done. He'd killed his wife–he would kill Luke, had already tried to kill Luke, and if he ever found out about Leia, he'd go after her, next. His determination to finally kill him was stronger than ever, and yet the thought still made him feel sick, which only fueled his anger. It was a reminder of the hold the Emperor had over him, and while he identified that hold now, it didn't make the feeling go away.

"Contact us to let us know you're alright," Owen said to Luke sternly, "we're going to wait all night if we have to until we know."

"I will." Luke promised, before both of them headed out to the shuttle to finally face their destiny.

This time, Vader flew. He needed to do something that brought him some measure of comfort, and flying always did that. His nerves felt electrified, and he tried not to think of how vulnerable his suit was to actual electricity–which happened to be the Emperor's favorite weapon. Yet more proof that the Emperor had manipulated his entire life. He should have upgraded his suit...

But before they'd even left the atmosphere, the Force exploded violently. Instinctively, he swerved, though there was no incoming fire. Beside him, even Luke looked like someone had physically hit him. "What–?" Luke began, but Vader couldn't hear the rest of the question.

Because suddenly, the bond between him and his master snapped.

And he felt...free.

More free than he had felt...perhaps ever. Even the Force itself felt freer, lighter, as though the entire galaxy had breathed a sigh of relief.

Unknowingly, he'd stopped flying, his hands wrapping around himself as though he could make himself feel grounded again. Beside him, Luke had grabbed the copilot's controls, taking over the flying. He kept asking questions, but there was a roaring in Vader's ears. He could only watch as they exited the atmosphere and the Executor came into view.