Conversations

Vader bowed before the Emperor, waiting for his response. He'd called the Emperor the moment he learned that the Emperor had called for him during his...mental holiday. The Emperor had picked up right before the call had gone to recording, indicating that he was angry enough to make Vader wait.

Then he just...glared at him. He said nothing. Not even a simple "Lord Vader" as greeting.

He really wished Luke had said something the moment he'd exited his meditation chamber, not continued his silly therapy session.

"What do you think you are to the Emperor?"

It was a struggle to maintain his mental shields, but it was not a struggle to sustain his rage. When his master examined him through the Force, he would feel his white hot anger.

Luke, Vader realized, was right. The reason the Emperor had given him the drug was because he wished to fuel Vader's anger. It was the way of the Sith, but Vader knew of no other Sith who had taken such a drug. Perhaps it was also done out of punishment over his failure on Mustafar, but if he'd wanted to inflict pain on him, he could have done so with another drugs that had such an effect. Vader had used such drugs in interrogations numerous times.

So, the Emperor had not believed that Vader could sustain his anger enough to become the powerful Sith he now was.

Or Luke is completely right and he did it because he saw good in you still, and wanted to control you.

Like a slave.

Slave.

Slave.

How could he be a slave when he commanded the might of the Imperial Navy? How could he be a slave when he owned so much wealth and power, more than he even knew what to do with?

And yet he couldn't get it out of his mind, and it only fueled his anger further.

If it was true...if he'd allowed himself to become a slave...

He wouldn't finish that thought.

Finally, after what felt like an eternity of those golden eyes staring at him, the Emperor blew out a breath. "Lord Vader." He finally stated. It was not a greeting. "Would you care to tell me where you've been?"

His answer was immediate, the same answer Piett had given the Emperor. "I was not on board. I hunted Rebels."

"And?"

Vader couldn't tell if he bought the excuse. "I picked up their trail, but I have yet to find the hidden base."

It wasn't a complete lie. He had found data that suggested he'd found their trail again, but he'd done that from the comfort of his own meditation pod, not running around the galaxy. No, he would not leave and leave Luke alone. He was certain he'd rooted out the spies the Emperor had placed on the Executor, but even then, spies were spies for a reason. He could have missed one.

And that one could have been witness to his...escapades and told the Emperor, though Vader wasn't sure how exactly a spy would go about explaining what they'd seen.

But the Emperor seemed to believe his excuse...or rather, he made a show of believing it. "The Rebels are smarter than we give them credit for, but they will not prevail. I have foreseen it."

Keep your foresight on the Rebels, Vader thought, though he kept his shields tight, keep away from my son.

But though he was certain he'd strengthened his shields adequately, the Emperor changed subjects.