the "energy about to shift" celtics

damn, maybe i was wrong…

i'm not going to lie, i forgot what expectations i had for this team coming into the season. but i can confidently say it was NOT whatever this is.

much like every celtics fan, i overreacted for the better half of the season. rightfully so, these guys sucked by celtics standards. the defense and playmaking were not what we expected from the promised udoka system.

however, the celtics once again forced me to learn how to have hope and be optimistic after this tweet

since jaylen tweeted this the celtics are 25-6, and have gone from a play-in team to the second seed and solid contenders. moreover, they went from teetering between .500 and less than .500 to having the best record among teams that were stuck at .500 for a significant time.

the celtics saw a tremendous shift in not only their overall energy, but their defense, star playmaking and lead protecting for the most part. eye test wise (cause who has time to go through all the stats??? it's past midnight pls), the celtics are paying more like a team, something we expected from coach udoka, as well as moving the ball a lot more, passing up shots they'd usually take for better looks from their teammates.

|⁷⁷⁷|

give them their flowers!!

starting with the most obvious one, jt for mvp. while he's not even in my top 3 and i have jokic and embiid as my favorites, jayson has been absolutely insane since the energy shifted and has been one of the main carriers of the celtics' offense. he for sure has an argument and isn't far off from what we expected coming into the season. on top of that, he's greatly improved as a passer averaging a career high in assists.

🤢as for the man we can all credit for this improvement in passing, i believe he's THE coach of the year (horrible guy). going from last season's celtics to THIS is a great achievement in itself.
this is definitely another area i overreacted early in and ended up being wrong.
as a rookie head coach udoka has been able to give the celtics the defensive identity that matches their personnel; get the jays to pass more; give grant the space to be the best version of him we've seen since he was drafted, among a lot more achievements.

udoka's defensive identity cannot be discussed without reference and credit to the two main players who spearhead the defense and are the culture guys around whom the defensive identity is built.
smart and robert williams. before his injury, i had rob as my "that boy nice" defensive player of the year. however, his injury and absence gave me time to actually think about the award and come to the firm decision that marcus smart is the obvious defensive player of the year.
not only has he recovered from his two-season defensive slump, but also is the main point of attack of one of the best defenses in nba history.
it says a lot to be the best defender on a team whose sixth best defender is jaylen fucking brown...