Chap 1: Eyes x Tell x All

♧♢♤♡♧♢♤♡♧♢♤♡♧♢♤♡♧♢♤♡

Ah.. he was way too early.
There were about 30-40 people here.
Surely something like the hunter exam would have more traction?

As his eyes wandered the building, observing the people already here and getting a lay for the room, a little green bean walked up to him.

"Here! Take this, wear it on your chest, and do not lose it."
He handed him a circular plastic card with the number '43' on it.

"Yes."
He took the card from the bean and pinned it to his sweater, the white circle clashing with the knitted dark brown.

Seconds later, a rather tall man walks up behind him. The bean to somehow sensed this and swiftly swung around to give him a tag as well.

"Here! Wear this on your chest and do not lose it."
M/N turned and dodged out of his and the man's way, so he could walk off away from the two.

Then, and only then, did he realize that having come this early had no perks...
He'd have a long wait and the room would only ever get louder and louder as people filed in. For now, at least, it was just a period of awkwardly waiting with 43 other people.

So he shoved a rather cheap black set of headphones that he'd pulled out from his bag over the top of his ears and laid back against the wall, observing the 40-some contestants interact with one another, or in other cases, steering clear.

A man then walked up to him while simultaneously shovelling through a satchel propped on his knee; it was quite a difficult pose to maintain, which is why it was not at all surprising when he stumbled and almost dropped his precious -from the looks of the way his eyes widened at the little trip- cargo.

He quickly caught it and threw it over his shoulder and under his other arm, seeming to have retrieved what he was looking for, then setting his sights ahead again.

Looking right into M/N's eyes.
And that's when M/N had got him.
This guy was up to no good, he could see it swimming around in his eyes.

Hm...
A can of something, a crushed pill and a swirling combination of colours.
Well, with basic connection skills, M/N can guess that this guy is gonna give him a can and it's going to be drugged, or poisoned?
Either way, he did not care, he wasn't gonna drink it.

He begrudgingly shoved his headphones off and around his neck, to rest on his shoulders. He wasn't exactly happy at the scenario but he didn't wanna become a target by showing he was unfriendly at the very start of the competition..

"Heyo! I'm Tonpa! Haven't seen you around here, first time?"
"Yes."
Tonpa seemed to almost wince at the cold answer that clearly showed that he wanted to end the conversation there, but if Tonpa was anything, it wasn't a quitter.

"Well then! Congratulations! Take this juice on me, for luck and allyship in the later tests."
He pulled a can out from behind his back where he had held his hands before, the bright orange outer layer being eye drawing.

M/N crosses his arms and raises an eyebrow, down-turning the other.
That fast? He'd expect it to take at least a bit more time...

"I dislike that brand and I won't take drinks from strangers. Not to mention this is a cutthroat competition and I expect nothing but sabotage. Go on your way."
He swatted his hand through the air, imitating himself shoving the man away.

The man looked up, furrowing both of his heavy brows and thinking of something, M/N could guess he was considering his next course of action.

Though he seemed to realize fighting wasn't a good idea—M/N knew he was much smarter than this can-wielding goblin.
He scoffed loudly, the sound being drowned out by the chatter echoing around the rest of the room, then stomped off, the multitude of cans in his bag bouncing against one another.

Foolish Tonpa, doesn't he know?
For M/N, eyes are the mirror to the soul.

♧♢♤♡♧♢♤♡♧♢♤♡♧♢♤♡♧♢♤♡