Chapter 9

Addison mentally prepared herself as she attempted to knock on Alex's door, wishing she had just spoken to him in work instead of trekking all the way to his apartment. She held up her hand to knock, sighing when she couldn't will herself to do it. She shook her head and went to walk away, gasping slightly when she saw Alex making his way down the corridor, he looked up from his bag, frowning when he spotted her standing outside his door.

"Dr Montgomery, what are you doing here?" He asked, knowing that after the whole showdown when Meredith was discharged he had quit all formalities with everyone and was only associating with people in a working manner, except for Bailey and Chief who did their check-ups on Meredith and actually held conversations with him about her.

"I was- just leaving" She mumbled, but Alex stopped her pathway, frowning further.

"You must have come here for a reason" He pressed, Addison cringing at his persistency.

"I wanted to speak to you about Meredith but, I shouldn't have come"

"What about her?" He was not letting go of this now.

"I wanted to apologise to her. I haven't been able to sleep because all I can think about is the fact that I am the reason she walked away that night and I am the reason nobody is speaking to her and I am the reason she is in the mess she is in and I want to help her but, it was a mistake to think I could" She rambled, running her hand through her hair stressfully. Alex was shocked at the consideration but he was not ready to forgive her for the mess she made.

"You told her she screwed everything up, do you understand how broken she is?" He argued back, Addison nodding her head.

"I was losing my patient and her kids and Derek told me he wanted a divorce and she was the only person I knew that I could take my frustration out on without being unreasonable, but clearly I took things too far which I never intended to do. She was being considerate about my patient and she had probably had an even worse day than I had but I still did it and I feel so guilty for doing so and I just want her to know that I don't blame her- I never have and I never will" She let out a breath she never realised she was holding, Alex unable to speak. He was shocked when Meredith opened the door, hobbling out slowly, leaning against the door frame.

"Are you both going to come in or finish your argument out here?" Alex watched Addison physically pale, Meredith staring at the two with raised eyebrows.

"I just finished dinner" She mumbled, hobbling back inside, Alex ushering Addison to go first. He was shocked when the apartment was immaculate, knowing he had not left it that way in the morning.

"Have you cleaned?" He asked shocked, Meredith slumping down on the couch with a sigh.

"A little"

"Meredith you are on bed rest" He argued back, but she just shrugged, resting her head back with her eyes closed.

"Addison take a seat, Alex is going to dish out dinner" She said in a sort of cheery voice, Addison and Alex both shocked to say the least.

"Are you sure, I can go I wasn't meaning to stay"

"Think of it as a peace offering" Meredith replied with a small smile, though she never opened her eyes.

"Are you going to have any?" Alex pressed, getting out three plates though he knew her answer.

"Maybe later" He cringed, Addison looking to him with a raised eyebrow.

"Isn't she eating?" She whispered, Alex slowly shaking his head.

"It's very rare I can get food down her" He replied back in a low voice, Addison hating how the past few weeks had effected the woman before her.

"I can't eat your food then if you aren't even go to have any" Addison perked up suddenly, Meredith peering one eye open to stare at her.