Chapter 10

Bailey filed her interns into her patients room, Alex and Meredith closest to his bed while the others stayed to the side, their heads down.

"Dr Karev, present" She said, Alex stepping forward, fist bumping the guy as he grabbed his chart.

"This is David Jones. He is in for the deduction of a mass found on his liver. He has been on dialysis for about 3 months after his other hospital told him he had cancer and needed a new lives. David collapsed at work as was brought here where Dr Bailey found that his mass was not cancer and could easily be removed" Bailey nodded, smiling at David.

"Grey" Meredith was next to speak, having read up every detail on David's case the night before.

"We are going to go in and remove the mass and hopefully get David home by the end of the week" David laughed, holding up his fist for Meredith to bump.

"I like her Dr Bailey" He laughed, Meredith rolling her eyes at laughed along, the others standing on the side lines awkwardly.

"Karev and Grey are going to prepare you for you surgery. I will see you in the OR" She practically pushed the others out to their patients, Meredith and Alex leaving the room to run the last round of labs on David before he went in.

"It feels so good to be back" She admitted to Alex, a grin on her face. He hadn't seen her so happy in so long it relieved a large weight off his shoulders.

"David likes you" Alex winked, Meredith rolling her eyes. They never noticed Derek behind them on the stairs, Meredith pushing Alex's arm slightly.

"I am not dating anyone for a long time. The pain is way too unbearable" She was half joking half serious which Alex understood, though Derek who was listening in felt a large pang of guilt overwhelm him.

"I heard the head of general at Seattle Pres is hot, maybe I can get in his pants when I transfer" She winked, Alex letting out a loud laugh as they headed to the lab pick up, Derek's eyes wide as he stopped dead in his tracks. He was so engrossed on the back of Meredith's head he never noticed Addison who walked right into him, snapping her out of his haze.

"Sorry Dr Shepherd" She mumbled, going to walk away when he grabbed her arm, holding her back.

"Meredith is transferring?" She raised an eyebrow at him, turning so she was facing him.

"Who told you that?"

"I overheard her mention something before"

"So you are listening into conversations now?"

"No it wasn't like that. Is she though?" She crossed her arms over her chest, resisting the urge to roll her eyes.

"Why do you care Derek? I have had to deal with her these past few weeks and she is so broken, so yes, I think transferring would be a better for her considering nobody is speaking to her but honestly, I would hate to see her leave. This- being here with all of you, it is hurting her Derek. Are we done?" He gulped loudly, Addison turning on her heal in the opposite direction.

_________________________________________

Meredith stepped back from the body, staring at Alex wide eyed as Bailey stepped down from the stool she uses for surgeries, her face grim. She looked at me, but I couldn't make eye contact with her as I spoke.

"Time of death, 10.34" I ripped off my surgical gown and gloves, shoving them in the bin as I headed to the door.

"Grey, we couldn't have known this" I grabbed the handle and sighed, looking down at my shoes.

"I know, but an hour ago he was telling me how he was going to adopt a puppy and now he is going to the morgue" She pulled the door open and walked away, Alex going to walk away but Bailey held him back, shaking her head.

"Leave her for a few minutes" He nodded and looked up at the gallery, Izzie and George looking down at him sadly.

"Leave everyone for a few minutes" She rephrased, Alex rolling his eyes as he walked out the door into the scrub room.

_________________________________________

Meredith sat in the locker room for a minute to control herself before slowly standing to leave. She didn't know whether it was because it was her first day back because she is never usually this knocked by a patient dying. There was just something about him, he was an amazing person and now he is dead. Bad things always happen to the best of people. Taking a deep breathe, she pulled the door open, the wind being knocked out of her when she almost ran over Izzie, a small smile on her face.

"Dr Stevens" She greeted courteously, smiling back.

"I'm sorry about your patient. I was in the gallery and the surgery was going so well"

"He just didn't have a strong enough heart" Izzie nodded sadly, moving out the way so she could pass.

"Good luck with your Craniotomy, I saw you down for it on the board"

"Thank you" They shared a brief moment, like everything that had happened was in the wind for a moment. It felt nice, for the both of them. In an instant, gravity took hold and it was all on the ground again.

"Meredith, Seattle Pres will be in at 4pm to meet with you about the possible transfer. Don't be late" Meredith turned to Richard, smiling with a nod.

"I have to go" She slipped away from a gobsmacked Izzie, who immediately went to find Cristina and George. The two were sitting in the tunnels, picking at their salads, neither bothering to make small talk. Izzie stood in front of them, the two staring at her with raised eyebrows.

"Meredith is transferring to Seattle Pres"

"What!?" Cristina was standing now, her face full of sadness.

"Meredith is transferring. She is meeting with them at 4. Why would she do that? She only just came back"

"First she moves out, now she leaves the hospital?" George didn't know whether to be upset or angry. He didn't know if he had the right to feel anything anymore. They all stood in silence, daring each other to speak but in all honesty, they didn't know what to say. Izzie felt herself go white when she heard someone behind them, placing her hand on her chest when she saw Derek.

"We have a Craniotomy" He told her, Izzie nodding.

"Did you know about Meredith moving?" Cristina asked him, his nod shocking them.

"And you're not angry?" He shook his head, George frowning.

"Do you know why?" He nodded, Izzie egging him to tell them more.

"Addison told me she is a mess and its hurting her being here. This is our fault" His voice was so broken, he didn't know what to do anymore. Neither of them did.

"She can't leave. We need to fix this, now" George said, Derek turning around.

"We have ruined her, maybe she doesn't want us to fix it" Cristina grabbed his arm, turning him back around, her eyes wide.

"We can't give up. We have treated her like crap and we are going to fix it. Come on Derek, don't let this be it. This can't be it" He sighed, looking around the interns who, including him, had ruined the one best thing in his life. Slowly he nodded, Izzie sighing heavily.

"Okay, where do we start?"

Hey guys Shayne here!😊
How do you guys feel about this chapter? Me I honestly I don't want them getting close to Mer anytime soon. The intensity of the emotional pain they've put Mer through is just sickening. If I were in her position I had already landed a job at a different state😅 I just want them to feel the pain too, you know. I want emotional revenge😈