Chapter 1: An Unexpected Adventure

(The song for this chapter is Ready to Go by Panic! At The Disco)

Winter sat over a low hanging ridge, observing the small town of Sanctuary. It had grown quite a bit since its inception and was now bustling with activity. He enjoyed that aspect of it, the sights and sounds of change. It was far better than his home, where tradition and old aged values still reigned supreme. Perhaps one day it would change, but Winter knew that it would be quite a long time before that happened. He breathed a sigh, simply enjoying the cool breeze. So far away from home, it was a small slice of nostalgia that was few and far between. He turned his gaze away from the dirt below and glanced up at other dragons going about their business. A sandwing here, a mudwing there, one of the few other icewings beside himself and Crystal, a rare nightwing on occasion, and... and... is that?

"Qibli?" Winter asked, shaking his head. He got up from his resting spot and leaned over, focusing his eyes at the sandwing walking through the day market. He took inventory in his head: Amber earring: Check. Scar across the snout: Check. Dark speckles around the face: Check. Annoyingly obnoxious expression that means he just noticed me... Check.

"Winter!" Qibli shouted, flying over to his secluded rest spot. He kicked up dust when he landed, causing Winter to buffet his wings to blow it away. Yet, some little grainy bits always managed to get stuck in-between his scales.

Winter gave him a once over, and yes this in fact was his best friend. Outside of the features he already took note of, Qibli had sand-yellow scales, leaning towards a lighter tone. He was also a bit thinner and slenderer than himself, with a bit of scruff around the edges. Yet, even without all that, he knew Qibli based on his eyes. They glinted with a particular kind of sharpness, as the rest of his eye was a deep black. A rather, uh, attractive feature... Though he'd rather throw himself on a spear than ever admit it.

"Hello Qibli, fancy seeing you here. I wasn't aware you'd be visiting, I would have better prepared for the bash," Winter spoke. Same as usual with his tone, cool, refined, collected, and a hint of snobbishness mixed with sarcasm.

To Qibli, Winter was his same old princely self, minus the authority that came with the name. A mixture of icy blue and snow white pristine, polished scales. Spines like ice shards along his elbows and wings, but darker in color. Silvery blue wings, with equally gleaming claws. Eyes as blue and piercing as an artic ocean. In addition, what Qibli would never admit to anyone, an incredibly handsome face. His deep gruff voice tied together with his soulfully tragic expressions made for a quite a delicious combination. Part of Qibli still wondered how Moon had picked him over the spitting image of a heartthrob storybook prince. Although, he could certainly be a bit cold at times.

"A party, just for me? Oh, you shouldn't have!" Qibli joked, throwing a claw around Winter. To which he was then scoffed at and shrugged off.

"Sorry to disappoint, we'll have to plan one another time. And not to be rude, but what exactly are you doing here? I thought you were busy with Moon in the rain kingdom," Winter asked, tilting his head to the side. Raising an eyebrow for good measure.

Qibli tilted his own head from left to right, "Well, there's a bit of a problem we need to deal with."

"Always it seems. Alright, where are the others?" He asked, glancing back towards the town.

"Actually, it'll just be us. I can explain further if you've got a more private abode," Qibli continued, a bit of apprehension in his voice

"Can't get much more private than this I'd imagine," Winter responded, gesturing to the empty space around them.

The sandwing then leaned in close, "It's about a prophecy."

Winter shook his head, "By the moons, you must be joking."