Chapter 11: Chapter Closed

(The song for this chapter is The Cave by Mumford & Sons)

Once those words pierced the air, there was a revelation, and then a rush of adrenaline. Qibli backed up a step and raised his tail, as did the other two sand wings. They looked ready to attack, until the other members of his group fell in at his side. Moon and Nightshade both wielding blowguns and Winter baring his fangs, icy frost falling from his mouth. Winter gave them an intimidating snarl and lowered his voice to a deadly serious tone.

"If you even think about touching him, I will carve your faces off with my bare claws and freeze the blood in your veins," the prince threatened, making both sand wings, and his friends, flinch.

The other two took a step back, not running, but not making any aggressive actions either. Striker tipped his chin up and kept on a mean expression, "I don't know who you are, or what you want, but we won't be going down without a fight. And I think I can take at least three of you down with me. If you dare."

"I don't care about you or your gang," Qibli growled, "I was looking for a sand wing named Striker. However, it seems as if someone else took up the name as well."

"Striker? Hmph, older sand wing, scar on his side, splotchy black scales on his chest, vicious attitude, that Striker?" Lotus snorted.

"How do you know him?!" Qibli barked, turning his attention to Lotus.

"Course I know him, I used to run with him back in the day," Lotus explained, expression still hardened.

"Where. Is. He?" Qibli bared his fangs, tail glinting in the light.

At this, Lotus began to chuckle, and then laugh. Scratchy, howling laughter that echoed off the walls of the tent and into the open air. He wiped his eye with a claw as tears fell from his eyes.

With a smirk, he replied, "He's dead."

All of Qibli's friends watched him, their expressions filled with unease. Qibli had gone blank in the face, as if he couldn't believe what he was hearing. So much so that he nearly dropped his tail. After a moment, he shook his head and took a single step back.

The rogue focused his gaze on lotus. Doing everything in his power to keep his voice from shaking, "What are you talking about?"

With the same triumphant smirk on his face, Lotus explained, "Yeah, we use to run together a few years back. Had a little gang called the Rattlers, nothing too interesting really. Robbed a few folks, mugged others, took what we wanted, until Striker caught a little bug. Then... poof! Just like that. Dead as a doornail. I still remember his scales turning a sickly green before he kicked the bucket. Buried him out in the middle of who knows where. A small lump in the sand."

"He... He's dead," Qibli repeated.

"He's speaking the truth," Nightshade suddenly spoke up, "just in case you wanted to know."

"See, even she gets it. Nothing for you here kid," Lotus replied. "Even though Striker here is our leader, I'm really the one calling the shots. Even had him take up the boss's old name to increase our credibility. To diminishing returns, admittedly."

"Shut your mouth," Striker hissed, glaring at Louts. Receiving no response.

"Even if that is the case, you're still a threat to the dragons around here. You're dangerous," Qibli spat back, his shoulders tense.

"What? You going to knock us out and slit our throats? You don't look like a killer, don't have the eyes. You're nothing but a kid," Lotus chuckled, a hissing, snake-like chuckle.