Chapter 1: Lucy

AN: pics of Lucy's look above :)

"Lucy."

. . .

"Lucy?"

. . .

"Lucy!"

I slowly lift my head up, letting my eyes connect with his. He takes deep breaths, trying to calm himself down. I stare at him, but keep my words hidden. He smooths out out his black blazer, gulping as he takes my sight in.

"Lucy, you haven't said a single word since you've arrived." He points out trying to hide his frustration, I give him a shrug as I place my elbow on the arm rest, placing my head in my hand.

"Are you going to speak to me Lucy?" he questions me, I hate the way he says my name, as if it were painful to get it to roll off his tongue. I know he is just about as happy as I am to be here, he never expected to have to take care of anybody. Not when he signed up to devote his life to God, or whatever he believes in.

"I want to go home." I tell him, running my hand through my hair as I feel the unsettling feeling in my stomach.

"This town, it's your new home now." He repeats for the tenth time since i've gotten here. He stands up from his desk chair, folding his arms as he leans against the desk. I sigh and look down at my hand that tears at the threads of my shorts.

"I'm going to live with a stranger . . . you call that home?" I shake my head, feeling my eyes starting to threaten my pride once again. The lump in my throat bothers me just as much as his judgmental staring.

"Mrs. Miller is happy to take you in, you should be appreciative of her willingness." He tells me again, making me take a deep breath. I stand up from the ugly floral couch, feeling my hands clench into fists at my sides.

"Why can't you just let me stay at your house? You're my uncle!" I shout wishing I could throw something.

"We've already discussed this over the phone." He tells me, keeping up his composure. "It's inappropriate for a girl your age to be living with me, what would people think about their priest if they found out he was living with a young lady?"

"If they think that way, they're disgusting. I am your fucking niece!" I throw my hands in the air, seeing him trying to keep himself under control.

"I won't except that language, neither will Mrs. Miller." He tells me making me roll my eyes, "Besides, this is a holy place. Have respect for once."

I keep silent, wishing I could argue further, but know it will be no use. I shake my head as I pace inside of his office, hating the small crosses that seem to make an appearance on every wall. I look away, not liking the way the Jesus on one of them stares at me.

"My parents were good people . . . They didn't deserve to die . . ." I tell him, knowing he knows that i'm confused on why they had to go. He sighs and nods his head in agreement.

"Everything is a part of God's plan-"

"Bull shit!" I cry out, cutting him off. He takes a deep breath, not wanting to become angry with me.

"Lucy." He sternly says, making me become angrier. "Your parents-"

"I swear if you say anything that's disapproving of them . . ." I threaten knowing he's becoming even more frustrated with me for interrupting him.

"You know my opinions of my brother and his life choices, how he left the church and the way he raised you-"

"Stop!" I yell at him, feeling tears starting to roll down my cheeks.