Chapter 4: Faith

I don't know when I started starring at her, it was unintentional at first. I only know that my mind enjoys staring at her, she's just so beautiful and unique. Her type of beauty isn't common around here, so that's maybe why I'm so overwhelmed by it.

Just the way her muscles move as she runs, or the way her raven hair whips behind her from the wind. Or the way her electric eyes avoid every glare thrown her way, like she's in her own world. She doesn't even care when they stare at her, she just shrugs everyone off as if it doesn't hurt her when somebody gossips about her.

I have no idea how she does that, it makes me a bit angry really. Of course I don't want her to feel sad about how people are treating her, it's just, I want to know how she just doesn't care. I've never had that quality, and I've become jealous of her because of that.

I've kept my distance from her in the last week since she's shown up, and not because of what all of my friends are telling me about staying away from her. I just want to prepare myself first, it just seems like I get too nervous to go and talk to her again. Usually I'm a confident person when it comes to talking to people I don't know very well, I try my best at being friendly with everyone.

Today though, I'm going to make it happen. I'm going to talk to her again and it's going to go wonderful. I just want to know more about her, I want to be her friend. Even if I don't really know the reason why, I just want to be. I don't want to be like the rest of the students here, who gossip about her and ignore her. I won't let myself be such an awful person.

I put the flag belt around my waist, making sure it's on right. Hannah walks with me towards our side of the football field, joining our team for capture the flag. Hannah continues talking about some drama with her on and off boyfriend Mike, myself only catching half of what she says.

I look over to the other side of the field, finding Lucy.

She rolls her shoulders a few times, stretching out a bit as everyone waits for the whistle to be blown to start the game. The girls on her team talk strategy, pretty much gathering in a circle away from her. This happens every P.E. class, no one really includes her very much. Even though she's possibly the most athletic girl in the whole class.

Mrs. Abbot blows the whistle, starting the game. I pull on my pony tail, tightening it before I start to walk cautiously towards the middle mark of the field that divides both teams. Everyone just walks slowly, no one brave enough to try and run to the other side to capture the ball.

I look back at Hannah, seeing her inspecting her nails, not even paying attention. I look back towards the other team, seeing that some of them are thinking about running. It's really pathetic actually, how no one is really trying yet. I suppose I shouldn't say that though, because I haven't done anything myself yet.

I see somebody out of the corner of my eye, starting to cross the line. I look and see Lucy slightly jogging onto our side, my teammates stand in the same places, too shocked to move. She has a bored look on her face as she continues to jog through my team, heading straight for our ball. No one even moves to try and grab one of her flags.

"Are you guys serious?" I sigh as I start to sprint towards her, everyone looks at me with skeptical looks. I run up in front of our ball, right before Lucy can reach down and grab it. She staggers back, looking me in the eye, a challenging smile appearing on her face.

"I'm not afraid of you Lucy." I can't help but smirk, catching my breath.

"Oh really?" She gives me a cocky smile, she and I starting to circling each other. Each step she takes, she's coming closer to me. My team gives me no help with an attempt at even grabbing one of her flags and getting her out.