Chapter 7: Lucy

The first thing I notice when she arrives, is her change of clothes. She no longer wears the blue dress she had on earlier, but a pair of shorts and a white tank top. I raise my head from the ground, seeing her walk towards me with a small smile. I bring my cigarette up to my mouth, taking another drag before rising from the ground and stomping it out.

"You know, those things are bad for you." I hear her voice tell me, I turn around and she looks serious but has a small smile on her face.

"Yeah I do know. I guess I'll have to stop someday." I tell her with a shrug, pulling the pack of gum out of my back pocket. I take one out and pop it into my mouth, then offering one to Faith. She rolls her eyes and takes one making me grin.

"You better, wouldn't want those beautiful teeth of yours to rot." She shrugs as she stares at my mouth, I take a step closer taking advantage of the moment.

"You think my teeth are beautiful?" I tease making her blush quickly, grinning to show them off.

"I-I just-"She starts looking flustered.

"Just teasing. I know they're beautiful too." I smirk before starting to walk away from the tree I was standing underneath. She chuckles with a playful eye roll, both of us starting to walk away from the church grounds.

"So where are we going blondie?" I ask her while putting my sunglasses back on. Her face still beams as she begins to tell me about the small attractions in the town, and which places are the most fun to hang out, all while we walk towards the main street in town.

She does most of the talking while we walk, explaining different stories as we pass a different location. I'm not really paying much attention to the places she's showing me, I'm giving it all to her. Her blonde hair bounces on her shoulders as she gets enthusiastic about something, reminding me of her cheerful personality. She just seems really happy to be out here in the sun, telling me about random things, about her town.

I realize I'm smiling a lot too, unable to stop myself from doing so when she does something cute. It's actually hard to believe that someone as beautiful as her comes from this town, the town hasn't entirely ruined her yet, making me love every second I get to spend with her. Even if the second is spent in silence, it's a second I'll appreciate. Who knew that I would quickly be falling for a girl named Faith from Kentucky?

"Now this, this is the best-" She starts before chuckling a bit, "And only restaurant in town. Really good burgers and pizza." She gestures towards a small building with a closed sign, inside sits empty seats without a person in sight. It's weird to think that all of the businesses actually close all day on Sunday, something so different from New York.

"You'll have to take me to dinner so I can taste this really good pizza." I smirk which makes her blush with a small smile, pushing some of the straggling hair behind her ear.

"Yeah, that would be nice." She nods in agreement, taking a small moment of silence before introducing the next building beside the restaurant. I can't help but smirk, knowing that I'm making good progress on making her a bit off in all the right ways with me.

We walk until we hit a dirt road, houses on either side of us as we walk down the road. I have to keep my hands in my pockets to resist the urge of leaning over and grabbing her hand that swings between us. She tells me of stories when she was a kid, telling me about the time she was kicked by her neighbor's horse, or the time when she lost her tooth when she fell off her father's tractor. Just simple stories that built her up to be the girl she is now, most of them bringing smiles and laughs.

We walk until we reach the end of the road, where a sign tells us that we're entering the town. We both sit back against the sign that has grass sticking high around it, leaning back against the metal as the sun starts to slowly disappear. We stay silent for a few moments, just soaking in the last few rays of intense sun.

I look out and see horses and cows in some fields, feeling curious about them. Watching them as they slowly move from place to place, enjoying the silence that comes with this town.

"Do you have a horse?" I ask Faith, watching her as she looks over to me.

"Not anymore, I used to when I was younger though." She tells me with a small smile, showing me how beautiful she is.

"What color was it?" I ask her wanting to get a visual inside my head.

"Her fur was black, it was so pretty. I loved just petting her because of how soft it felt." Faith's smile widens as she continues.

"What was her name?" I wonder, trying to imagine a young Faith on a beautiful black horse.

"Her name was Leo." Faith giggles making me raise an eyebrow.

"Isn't that a boy name?" I skeptically ask with a small smile.

"Yeah, it is." She grins making me smile, "I got her when I was a little girl, and for some reason, I just really wanted her name to be Leo. I have no idea where it came from." She explains making me chuckle.

"Leo...I like that." I smile, shaking my head as I chuckle.

"She was a good horse." Faith nods making me curious.

"What happened to her?" I ask her, knowing the likely.

"We had to put her down, she was starting to get really old and we didn't want her to suffer anymore." She tells me making me nod my head, understanding.

"That sucks." I frown making her shrug.

"It hurt at the time, but i'm okay with it now." She sweetly smiles, reassuring me that she's telling the truth.

"Did you ride her a lot?" I ask her, wishing I could grab her hand that sits between us.

"Yeah, she was pretty fast when we first got her. It was always so fun." She smiles at the memories.

"I'd like to ride one someday, but I don't think I would be able to." I chuckle making her confused.

"Why not?" She asks, her smile still in sight.

"I don't know, they kind of scare me I guess." I shrug making her mouth drop the slightest.

"Lucy, you're not afraid of having needles stick you for hours, but you're afraid of riding a horse?" She asks me making me laugh, I shake my head loving the feeling of being happy again.

"Horses are living things that can hurt me." I defend myself making her roll her eyes playfully with me.

"You're too funny." She chuckles making me smile.

"And you're too cute." I grin back making her blush, a small smile staying on her face as she looks at me.

"You think so?" She asks looking a bit confused by my compliment.

I nod my head with a soft smile, making her blush become brighter. Her eyes connect with mine, myself unable to stop myself from glancing down at her lips every few seconds. She smiles before looking away, letting her eyes watch the sun.

The sky is yellow now, having so much of it to look at. There are no buildings or construction to block the view, just open skies. We both sit in silence as we watch the sun slowly set, enjoying each other's company. I take many glances and look her way, enjoying the way the different colors reflecting on her smile, makes it pop even more.