03

"BREAKFAST IS READY!"

I forgot just how chaotic waking up in a coven could be. The sun is barely peeking through the blinds of the window before I hear running and conversations outside my bedroom door. I'm so used to living alone that I don't know how to act around others in the morning. It takes everything in me not to yell at them to be quieter but then I remember this technically isn't my home anymore and I'm in no authority to tell others what to do here. So I just endured the loud foot stomping and obnoxious laughter that sounded from all directions of the house for a little longer until there was a knock on my room door.

I debate on if I should get up or not but the person answers for me and decides to knock on the door again this time louder than before. I throw the comfortable and warm bed sheets off, durag practically slipping off my head as I made my way to the door prepared to give an earful to whoever was behind it this damn early in the morning.

I open the door and I'm immediately met with a silk pink bonnet and Issa beaming up at me brightly. She sent me a small smile and wave. "Breakfast is ready if you want some." She said.

I exhale a low breath, mirroring my baby sister's smile. "I'll be down in a sec," I told her.

Issa closed the door behind herself and I turned around on my heels stretching my tired bones, letting the warmness that erupted through my body take over my body. I walked over to my suitcase and decided to put on something more appropriate instead of walking downstairs in just my underwear like I usually would back home. It's been years since I've been here and I don't know these people like that to be strutting around like that.

As I ascend down the white staircase, the sweet aroma of croissants, toast, hash browns, and all the other confectionaries you could imagine for breakfast on a warm morning filled my nostrils, leading me towards the large kitchen. The dining room is literally the size of my entire house apartment in the city. It's a grand space, to say the least. The huge farmhouse dining table took up most of the vast space the dark, romantic room offered, left without a tablecloth and daring guests to ruin the perfectly varnished shine with their unworthy fingerprints. Two tall, silver candelabras commanded attention from the center of the table, holding smooth white candles whose wax never dripped.

I walked to the living area to see Marée placing down plates and Adah setting out bowls of eggs, and trays of bacon and toast.

I cleared my throat, catching their attention. Adah turned to me with a surprised look, but it quickly morphed into a welcoming smile once she realized it was only me. "Oh, good morning Ymir. I'm glad you could join us for breakfast." She said, fixing up the dinner table.

I rubbed the back of my neck sheepishly. "Yeah, Issa came and got me," I looked around at the empty table with all the food spread out on it. "Where is everyone?"

"You know the coven's 700th anniversary is today so everyone's outside helping set up the place for tonight," Marée answered. "you can still gon' on and get you a plate. We ain't cooked all this food for nothing." She cackled.