04

I DON'T KNOW how but I ended up in the French Quarter later on into the night

I DON'T KNOW how but I ended up in the French Quarter later on into the night. Drinking and taking whatever was handed to me like the tourist throwing up on the streets I complain about. When it's over I can barely walk straight without stumbling over my own two feet, but I needed this — needed a distraction.

The moon is full tonight, the circle sphere in the starless sky illuminating a dull blue. The air outside was easier to breathe, but even still it wasn't enough to clear my head of the drugs that still lingered in my system. I leave the French quarter with my clothes surprisingly still on my body, though the shoes on my feet are untied and I can barely take a step without almost tripping over myself but I'm too tired and dazed to tie them right now. It's surprisingly cold, and I shivered clutching onto myself as I began my journey back to the coven. I'm freezing from head to toe, my teeth chattering against one another from the walk all the way home. It's a miracle I didn't somehow lose a shoe. Everything staying in place was nothing short of a miracle.

Now I just have to get into the manor and pray to the Gods no one's awake to see the humiliation I'd gone through of having to walk home alone in the cold autumn night. This nightmare would already be over if I had just called a cab instead of walking like a madman, but when I'm angry and upset my brain doesn't work like a normal person's brain should. I just wanted to get away from everyone and be left alone until I felt it was okay for people to be around me again. I know everyone's probably worried about me or at least asking about my whereabouts.

Adah and Marée are gonna give me an earful in the morning, I just know it. It's damn near four in the morning and the ceremony should've ended hours ago. Everyone's most likely asleep.

I reach to manor at the end of the road to see the tall iron gate that keeps unwanted visitors out closed shut. The simple thing to do would be open it with a little bit of magic but I know my father has an enchantment on it that prevents that from happening after that one time Ejay and I snuck out to go to a party with the high school kids in the city a long time ago.

The only option left: climb the damn thing.

I stretched my tired limbs preparing myself for the jump. It's not anything I haven't done before. This was a Saturday night ritual for me when I was a kid but it has been a while and despite my 6'0 build, reaching the top of the grate is still very much a challenge. I exhaled a low breath shaking the sweat from my palms as I made my way a few feet away from the gate. I prepared myself counting down in my head.

1 . . .

2 . . .

3 . . .

I ran at the damn iron gate at full force, when I'm close enough I jump forward letting my hands grip between the iron bars before scaling up them quickly, my upper body strength became my best friend at this moment, and when I reach the top I don't hesitate to throw myself over landing on all fours. I smiled.