Chapter Forty Eight: Brothers

"There's a fucking bird on your head!" Tommy shouts.

I freeze, suddenly noticing a small shift in movement in my hair. Gently, I try to nudge the bird off of my head with my finger. Instead, my action ends up encouraging the creature to grip onto my finger. I lift the bird down to see it, and recognise a familiar gray feathering.

"Ashes?" I whisper, watching as the bird inspects me carefully.

"It's letting you hold it?" Tommy moves closer to look over my shoulder at the perched parrot.

"His name is Ashes. He's Nix's bird," I explain, slowly bringing my other hand up to pet him. "I haven't seen him in a while. I wonder how he got all the way out here?"

Ashes coos under my touch, enjoying the feeling of his feathers being scratched.

"Can I pet him?" Tommy asks, already reaching out. Ashes shies away, and Tommy retracts his hand.

"He doesn't usually let other people touch him besides Nix...and me".

"Well I don't like him either!" Tommy pouts, although he doesn't move away from the bird at all.

"I wonder if he knows where Nix is, or if he's lost?" I question, watching him pluck at some feathers.

"We can bring him with us!" Tommy suggests excitedly.

"He's a bird, Tommy," I chuckle. "I'm sure he'll do whatever he wants to. And I wasn't planning on leaving him out here".

"Good".

Tommy goes back to his bed, and falls asleep within the span of five minutes. I move Ashes to my shoulder and allow him to sit there. It's silly, but it almost feels like home sitting with him. Those months I had spent before the Manberg vs Pogtopia war were some of the most comforting, and I would do anything to get them back. This gave me hope.

—--------

In the morning, Tommy and I continued on our trek to Nix. We pass through forests, swamps, and even a jungle. All the while, Ashes clings to my shoulder, refusing to move until Tommy tries to pet him. Ashes would fly away, only to return after a moment. Then an hour later Tommy would try again.

The journey was comforting, and after a while, Tommy's annoying comments wore off. I seemed to enjoy his awkward small talk more than finding it irritating. We spend a little less than three days traveling, and eventually end up hiking through a snow biome. Ashes huddles closer to me when a winter storm rushes through, and I make sure he doesn't lose his balance. Tommy complains and whines, but does the same as Ashes, moving in next to me.

"I-It's so fucking cold," Tommy shivers.

"Hang on, I think I might've packed something for cold weather," I mutter, swinging my backpack off my shoulders and down in front of me. I search through the bag, finding the deep green fabric I was looking for.

"Here, take this," I offer, holding out the cloak.

"Woah, I get to wear Dream's cloak," Tommy mumbles excitedly.

"You don't seem very disgusted by the idea," I note.

Tommy instantly turns up his nose dramatically.

"I'm only wearing it because I could die of hypo-thermia," Tommy drags out the last syllable.

"Alright, Tommy".

We continue onwards, and the winter storm subsides, slowing down to a light snowfall. The sun starts to set quickly, and we decide to set up camp again. Little did we know, we had another new visitor nearby.