Chapter 11

I may be a little tipsy, but I need to be.

Oliver, Matt, Caitlyn, Ryan, and I are sharing a rounded table. Ryan joined us in the middle, and I had no clue where he went before. Ryan politely asked Oliver several professional questions that I did not even know if they were speaking English. But I can tell Ryan respected Oliver a lot.

I am trying my best to play cool here. I have decided to be friends with Oliver Parker, I mean if he lets me. Guessing having a rich, handsome, young alumnus as my friend won't do me no good. Figuring this out made me feel a little lighter, but I still felt a little sour inside. I do not know if it was because I realize the impossibility of me and Oliver or because I feel inferior about my passivity.

"I have to go back, I have a plane to catch tomorrow. Sorry guys. And, again, thank all of you." I know I have decided to be Oliver's friend, but not tonight. His eyes are just sparkling under this damn light. So maybe tonight is not a good option for me to play the friend card. Maybe next time, after I come back from China, and if there will be the next time.

"Tomorrow? Are you back in China to celebrate the Chinese new year?" I am a little surprised that Matt actually knows things about Chinese New Year.

However, now I have no interest in what Matt knows about China, so I just nod my head.

"You are finally going home this year? I was thinking if you ever wanted to go home." Oh good, now both Oliver and Matt are all giving me inconceivable looks. Though I cannot blame Ryan on this one, he did not know what happened with me and my ex-boyfriend.

"Yes, I am going back this year, Ryan." I grab my purse and kiss Caitlyn on her cheek, "You have fun, sweetie."

"Are you sure you do not need me to help you pack your things?" Caitlyn holds my wrist.

"Of course, no worries."

And I give all of them a big smile, "Bye."

That is it. I won't look back. It is my way to say good be to Oliver Parker before things become embarrassing and ugly between us. I am drawing a period between us. There is no way he would have an interest in a girl like me. I keep convincing myself I am doing the right thing here. It is the only way to prevent me from becoming a fool in the future, I tell myself. And, one and half months of winter vacation in China will surely help me forget Oliver.

It is too cold for me to even type anything on my stupid phone. I am trying to call a Uber, but it isn't going smoothly.

"I can drive you home." Dear god, why is he everywhere? I just said goodbye to him in my heart. How can he just show up and mess up with my mind again?

Oliver walks in front of me, "I am also going home."

To be honest, I am starting to get a little pissed off since I do not know what his intention is. I do not know why he doesn't ask for my numbers but keeps doing these unnecessary things. I do not know why he is still nice to me after my runaway last time. I do not know if he just wants to play around with me because I may look easy to fool. I do not know if he knows about our differences and just thought fun to tease me.

Driven by alcohol, I take a step forward and tilt my head toward his, "What do you think you are doing?" I look him in the eye and put my hands into my coat pockets. It is so damn freezing.

"I just want to give you a lift. Are you ok?" Right, a lift. See how he organizes his words every time. How perfect his every sentence is. How meticulous his logic is. I could not pick any wrong. But this is also what drives me crazy. I guess the most valuable lesson I have learned after tonight's small chat with Lauren would be that I have to stop falling into a man who is clearly out of my league so people like Lauren will never have a chance to mock me.

"Well, I do not need a lift." I take my hands out of my pockets and continue working on my phone.

"You are drunk. Let me take you home." His breath sprays on my face. It smells good as fuck. He sounds a little worried.

I close my eyes and laugh a bit because I may overthink his kind behavior again. "I am not drunk, and I can go home on my own."

Oliver tries to grip my arms so that I can stand firm, but I do not let him. He sighs slightly, does not say a word nor leaves. He just stands next to me and watches me.

I curse all Uber drivers in Toronto tonight. How come when I need one, there are no drivers near my location to pick me up. Stupid Uber, stupid phone, stupid weather.

Some people are leaving the party and they see Oliver and me standing together in front of the lecture building. Those fucking people do not even care to hide their eyesight. I bet they are gossiping about us, and it only makes me more raged.

So I just start to walk.

Oliver suddenly grabs my arm, "I will pick up my car, can you wait here?"

I take a deep breath and pause a second because what remains of my sanity tells me it is wrong to be impulsive. "Let go of me."

"What is wrong with you?" His hand is tightened, and it hurts my arm.

"What is wrong with me?" I snort and laugh out, "What are you doing here? You are not even my friend. Why do you care?"

Oliver is stunned. He clearly would not expect me to say this. I stare at him, trying to make him loosen his hand. But he just won't let go.

"Let go of me." He stands still. Fuck. Why is he acting like this? "Are you playing me around? Well, I am no fool, so I am not interested in your kindness and thoughtfulness, ok?"

There is a slight of rage and a slight of helplessness in Oliver's eyes, he just takes my hand, and his voice somehow sounds delicate, "Will you give me some time? It won't be long." He looks at me sincerely, and my mind is shaken, as always.

People are still watching us. I don't want to cause a scene here. So, I give up. Let him lead the way.