Chapter 15

I must admit that for a long time I wasn't really feeling ok about going back to China. But now, I am picking these souvenirs in a way of real joy. I guess that is something new to Caitlyn and even to me for a very long time.

Before Lu Yu and I broke up, each vacation I couldn't be more excited to go back to China. And I bought so much stuff. Furry toys for my nieces and Lu Yu's little cousins; All kinds of vitamins for my parents and Lu Yu's parents; Syrups for other relatives... There were just so many options and choices, and I wanted to buy out the entire drug store. And it did not happen again for 4 years, until now.

I guess a new relationship indeed can make my scars ease because I find myself no longer particularly resistant to going home. Now I can go shopping here in peace, and think about going home in peace. I may even feel a little reassured because I may not be afraid of people's sympathy back home since now I got Oliver. If they ever pity me or feel sorry for me, I will just throw Oliver's Wikipedia page on their faces.

Good. Sounds like a solid plan.

Caitlyn was not surprised when I told her that Oliver would take me to the airport. But she insisted that she and Matt would also be there for me. I know that will be the longest time Caitlyn and I ever separate from each other, so I did not reject her offer.

Now I am busting my ass off, trying to stuff everything into my suitcase. I do not really care how and whether my suitcase is going to explode or not. I just do not care. I am eager to start glamouring myself. Since in another hour, Oliver would be here to take me to our first dinner. I have no clue where he could take me or what the dressing code would be. But I will do what I can do first, which is putting makeup on my face.

While I am doing my makeup, Caitlyn is busy doing my hair. "Wow. Vic, that is... You are gorgeous. It reminds me of the first time I saw you back in college. Like a living Barbie doll."

I look at myself in the mirror, chest-length black wavy hair, round almond eyes, long and dense lashes, and pink glass lips. My mind cannot help swinging back. The girl in the mirror is so familiar to me. That used to be me every day. I was that delicate girl once.

I force myself to smile. Caitlyn notices it, and she puts the hair heating iron on the desk. She sits on my bed and turns my swivel chair to her, "Vic, I know it will be hard for you. But now you have got Oliver. And I will always be here for you. Oliver is a good man, and I have faith in him. It is time for you to move on and stop letting the past hold you back."

I want to cry, so badly. But I am so worried that it may ruin my makeup, and I do not have time to do it all over again. So I am trying everything I can to hold my tears back.

"Hey, you are dating Oliver Parker, Cheer up. Screw all of them."

I smile through tears, and I give Caitlyn a big hug, "Thanks, Caitlyn, I love you. I don't know what I can do without you."

"Aw, you are so sweet, but save your love confession to your charming boyfriend."

I chuckle, "I will miss you. You must text me every day and do not make a new best friend."

"Will do." She makes a salute posture, and I can't help laughing out.

There is a doorbell ringing while Caitlyn and I are picking up my outfit for my dinner. I have to say I am a little regretful that I did not buy any proper clothes in the past four years. All I have are some basic style sweaters, jeans, hoodies and some boring slim dresses for formal occasions.

It is 4:45 p.m., "Oh, somebody's boyfriend is here." Caitlyn seems even more excited than me. Now I am more nervous than excited.

She leaves me in my bedroom and goes to the living room to answer the doorbell. And I quickly pick a black tight, wide neck sweater with a pair of black slim jeans to match. I do not wish Oliver comes upstairs and sees me naked.

I open my bedroom door, and I see three of them, all having surprise looks. Matt is here too.

"You are so pretty tonight." Oliver walks to me and gives me a kiss on my cheek.

"Oliver is really good at finding beautiful girls to be his girlfriend," Matt says, putting his arm around Caitlyn's waist. Then he looks at Caitlyn's eyes, adds, "So am I."