Chapter 1

Flashpaw chased his siblings through the ferns. The medicine cat apprentice loved playing with them. The apprentices had been apprentice only a few sunrises earlier.'

Tomorrow night would be their first gathering. Blossompaw his sister was the smallest of the three. Oakpaw was the most extroverted and loved making friends. They both fit in perfectly. Flashpaw on the other hand. Didn't.

He was quiet, reserved and hated the spotlight. Maybe thats why he was shipped off to the medicine den. He didn't hate it, but its not what he wanted to do.

Flowernose was getting older and him and his siblings being the only kittens in the den made one of them have to be her apprentice. And he was chosen. "Blossompaw is too hyper" Lilymask had said. Oakpaw was the perfect choice, Flashpaw had thought, He was well liked, and he was able to take charge when needed.

But no, when Flowernose had asked Lilymask, she had chosen Flashpaw. And so here he was, with his siblings. They were supposed to be escorting him while he looked for herbs, but instead they were playing tag. Flashpaw enjoyed playing with them. Something he didn't often get to do now.

Flowernose worked Flashpaw hard, he rarely got an freetime. He longed to be back in the nursery, where he had, had fun. Him and his littermates acting like they were in charge, fighting off bad guys.

They had looked forward to being apprentices together, doing their chores and warrior training. Now it was different. Blossompaw and Oakpaw were warrior apprentices, and Flashpaw was not. Now he was chasing them and realized their legs were already much stronger. They were both faster then they had been before. While he tried to keep up, it just seemed he couldn't.

If he had been a warrior apprentice, then he would be able to keep up. The sunrise after they were apprenticed, new kits had been born into MistClan, Flashpaw hoped this meant, he'd be able to be a warrior apprentice now but Flowernose made no indication on wanting to get rid of him as her apprentice. He didn't want to upset her and ask to change mentors. He'd be mean for doing that. Maybe she just got lonely doing it by herself. He wondered.

Flashpaw stopped running. Even as a kit, he didn't seem to fit into MistClan. He wasn't like them. Flashpaw and his siblings were born rogues. Taken in by a mother who recently lost her own kits.

None of them remembered their real mother, but that didn't matter now. Ashstar had allowed them to stay, and they did. Blossompaw and Oakpaw had opened their eyes first, while Flashpaw took a bit longer. They were quicker to wean off milk. They were everything Flashpaw wasn't. He envied them for that.

Oakpaw and Blossompaw turned and looked at him. It didn't help his case that he wasn't as fast as a wild cat, or that he didn't like most prey. It left a strange taste in his mouth. He was quiet, hated confrontation and hated the spotlight.

Blossompaw was the perfect speed, she already was an incredible hunter. As kits they were constantly told she would be leader one day. As if Ashstar would let a rouge kit be leader. Oakpaw was almost as perfect as she was. Then there was Flashpaw, the one who didn't belong. The most rogue out of the rogue kits.

He really was a failure.

The sun light dimed on the camp. Flashpaw laid outside the medicine den. His fur was dusty from his time with his littermates earlier. Flowernose had scolded him for he recklessness and for not being responsible. Oakpaw and Blossompaw had already headed into their den for the night. He closed his eyes. Why can't I be normal, and liked? He wondered.

Flashpaw stayed laying in the dying sunlight. His eyes, blinked back tiredness and his paws still ached. After their game of tag they decided to act like they were on patrol, and Blossompaw and Oakpaw had taught Flashpaw some battle moves.

Flashpaw stood, and trekked into the medicine den. He looked at Flowernose who was sorting through herbs and laid down in his nest. Sleep quickly came over him.