Cat in the Middle

The interior of the feasting hall was grander than Emery would've guessed, based on its relatively humble exterior. The space was open all the way to the back, where sat on a platform a huge, high-backed chair with a wooden stool before it. Both the chair as well as the stool were intricately carved and had furred cushions or padding on them. Huge, low tables ran down either side of the hall, thick, covered straw pallets tucked under them, and in the middle was a long, deep fire pit that ran almost the length of the building. Over the low, smoldering flames were numerous firedogs, metal frameworks that held logs in them, and chains attached to overhead beams held cauldrons above the fire pit as well. The ceiling went so far up that its peak seemed to disappear in the shadows beyond all the crossbeams, and the walls were decorated with wooden shields and painted blue designs, which reminded Emery of the tattoos on Cathbad's chest and back. The building was warm and inviting (if a little dark), which she hadn't expected, but then she noticed the men in there, and that made her breath catch in spite of her determination to remain impassive.

At least Cathbad was by her side. Oonagh and Tess had been advised to wait outside, and though the druid was a comfort, Emery wished to have her friends near her. She had no idea what "right of the first night" was, but the way Cathbad had hissed it so urgently before they'd stepped into the building, she didn't think it could be anything good.

Cullen was near the end of the building, by the platform, speaking to another man who was shorter than he was by a few inches. The stranger was also bearded and certainly older, though in the dimness and at her current distance, Emery couldn't tell how much so. More of the king's men were standing about, these behaving a little more casually than those outside the feasting hall, but they enhanced the aura of business that permeated the place at the moment. When Cullen and the king caught sight of Emery and Cathbad, the two stopped talking and stood back a bit, the king calling a greeting and asking her to come forward.

"You stay right next to me," Emery whispered to Cathbad. "Don't even think about leaving."

"Of course."

Emery did as she was bid and walked the hall to the end of it. She tried not to look but couldn't help noticing Cullen's expression as she approached. His face, fair in the firelight, revealed consternation and perhaps something like admiration, and Emery was agitated to think that Oonagh's makeover might have made her suddenly impressive. He himself was done up, his hair braided and twisted in all sorts of ways and his attire layered and decorated like hers, and Emery felt a sense of justice; if she'd had to get all fancy to meet this king, at least he'd had to, as well.

And the King? He was distinctly uninteresting. Beyond his obviously finer clothing and the metal band he wore around his head, he resembled an ordinary older man. He had a head of dark, flowing hair which connected to a close beard, and though Emery had associated beards with hipsters and grandpas until she'd come here, King Conchobar looked to be somewhere in his forties.

"Lady Emer," was the first thing the king said to her as she came within a yard or so of him and Cullen. He made a sort of bowing gesture, and Emery pulled some knowledge from her past viewings of historical films and attempted something like a half-curtsy, feeling utterly foolish for not knowing the procedure. Fortunately, she must have looked all right enough, because the king didn't make any indication she'd behaved incorrectly. Cullen, on the other hand, suddenly darkened. Emery again sensed some deep, negative emotion from him, though she couldn't quite place it--animosity? resentment? Was he angry at her? Why was he always so frightening? All of Emery's determination to remain nonchalant went out the window at his perceived displeasure, and she shivered inadvertently beneath all her layers.

Nobody spoke for a moment, and Emery wondered in a brief panic whether she was expected to say something. She definitely didn't like the way the king eyed her up and down during that pause and instinctively crossed her arms in a show of irritation, which caused Conchobar to adjust the alignment of his gaze and turn to Cullen.