The Stone

"So, Samhain is like Halloween?" Tess wrapped a ribbon around her head, a green one. Her hair was growing out a bit, and not having all her hair clips, she was unsure how to manage her shoulder-length waves. Even Oonagh was at a loss, the women of the time not tending to have short hairstyles.

Emery watched Tess, admiring her friend's ability to keep an ever-positive attitude. These past few weeks had brought them together in a new way. They'd always loved one another as friends, but Emery had a new appreciation for Tess, as if she were her own sister. When Emery really thought about it, with her whole curse and everything, she knew that all of the memories she thought she had with her friend were false, implanted by that witch. That made her sad, and yet she couldn't just erase all of what she felt toward Tess. As far as Emery was concerned, Tess was who she knew in her heart to be, whether the memories were true or not. And though the two of them talked about much, Emery couldn't bring up what might happen if they did find Carman, and if the witch was able to entirely delete Emery's curse . . . it might mean Emery losing all of the false memories she had of her other life, including her years of friendship with Tess. The thought of losing her only close friend was unbearable.

"I think it is Halloween," Emery responded to Tess's question about Samhain. "They dress up and ward off monsters and spirits."

"Oonagh says it's her favorite festival. There's a bonfire, and dancing--" Tess paused and looked at Emery. "We'll get you out there. I promise. We won't leave you in here by yourself. Everyone's in costume, right? We just have to make sure yours is really good."

Samhain was in three days. As most of life in Dun-Dealgan was rather routine, Emery and Tess were certainly looking forward to it. But the guards had been strict with Emery. It'd been almost two weeks since Cullen had gone, and though she'd tried to casually slip out into the fields a few times, they'd spotted her immediately, as if they were specifically watching for her. Even Cathbad had declined to take her beyond the wall due to Cullen's potential wrath, which had greatly irritated her.

"Em," Tess put her hands down from her hair and stood there, pouting almost comically. How could Tess manage to look so charming, even in this old timey place? She had her own way of playing with the clothing. She'd taken to adding flair on the couple of dresses she had, embroidering little mushrooms and rabbits around the hems and poofing up the sleeves a bit. She'd also laced ribbons into her shoes. "Are you sure you don't mind if I go? I can stay here with you, really."

Emery gave a bit of a laugh. "No, I want you to go. I know you like Cat, and he thinks a lot of you. If he wants to take you into the woods and show you where the cool plants are, you go for it."

Tess smiled. "It's not cool plants. We're looking for medicinal herbs and fungi he can use in his casting. He's got a lot to do in preparation for Samhain. There's a big sacrifice he has to organize in thanks for the harvest. And I want to learn all about that forest, the plants and natural things that can help." She raised her eyebrows. "There were female druids in this time, you know."

"We won't be here long enough for you to become one, probably. Cat said it takes years for druids to train. You'll get Charlie and get out of here, and hopefully I'll go with you." Emery caught something strange in Tess's eyes and didn't altogether like it, but she had little time to wonder, as Cathbad called from outside before entering the house.

"Lady Tess!" he chirped far too happily for Emery's mood. "Are you prepared?"

Tess grabbed a leather pouch and a shawl and, cheeks as rosy as ever, joined the druid at his side. "You sure you'll be all right? I know Oonagh's working late with her brother—we can stay . . . right, Cat?"

"Oh, of course. If that is what you wish, Emery."

Emery looked at the two of them, trying to be kind to her but doing a poor job of hiding their fear that she'd agree. "No," she said. "You go on and look for your mushrooms. Just—keep her safe."