Lóegaire Misspeaks

The feasting hall was full of warriors, both men and women, moving in and out between that building and the training grounds and stables. Emery trembled slightly as she walked through them, past the fire pit full of its crackling flames. Her stomach was in knots, knowing what was happening was more grave than she'd hoped. The Red Branch Knights nodded toward her when she passed, and so did many of the others, knowing her by this time; all were respectful, unlike Cú Roí's men had been. Keltar led her through the others, then waved a hand toward the platform at the end, where Cullen stood, waiting.

Emery's breath caught. He was staring right at her, and he was in full battle regalia: his brass-scaled breastplate over a silvery mail which itself was over a forest green tunic; dark leather breeches, boots strapped up to the knees with brass plates over his shins; in place of a cloak, he had only a bright red tartan, pulled over his shoulders and close around his upper body before being tucked into a belt so as not to be a hindrance. Leather straps crossed his chest, holding his weapons--Emery spotted his Sword of Light in the mix, as well as Gáe Bulg secured at his back. That exacerbated Emery's anxiety--that spear was one serious weapon; if Cullen felt the need to bring it, then surely this fight must be a brutal one. She was glad he had it, though, for his own safety. As for the rest of his accouterments, he wore rather regal-looking items that Emery had never seen on him before, even at Cú Roí's castle: a dog-headed brooch, shining copper, with a red gemstone glittering as its eye, cinched his tartan at his neck; a brass torque hung around his throat, open at the front; brass cuffs encircled his wrists, and at his shoulders were plates of the same material, with small hanging rings that clinked softly as he moved. Under one arm, he held a brass helmet, intricately engraved, which would hang down to protect his neck when he wore it. But bare-headed as he was, now, Emery saw his deep reddish hair was pulled along the top in one thick sweep, the sides of his head shaved up around his ears, and when he turned to nod at Keltar, she saw that he had a knot of braids at the back of his nape.

He watched her as she approached, the deep green of his eyes more vibrant than she believed she'd seen before. Or maybe she was just paying more attention. His sculpted features--the straight bridge of his nose, the strong sweep of his jaw, the smooth high forehead, the furrowed brow--were more attractive than ever, and Emery felt as if she was actually seeing him for the first time, with the butterflies to match.

All too aware that she looked like nothing special, Emery felt herself warm when he indicated the back room with a wave of his hand, and she followed him without any complaint, only too happy to escape the eyes of any who might be watching.

"I knew, Emery," he said immediately, the moment they'd entered that chamber and he'd turned to face her, "but not until after we'd met by the river."

Still attempting to regain her confidence at seeing him the way he was, now, Emery couldn't understand him. "You--you knew what? I don't--"

"It was I who entrusted you to Forgall, all those years ago."

He seemed agitated, impatient, and that flustered Emery as well. "Wait. You talked to Cathbad, didn't you? He told you what I know, what happened--"

"And there is little time, now, to discuss it, but I assure you, I did not know you were the child I'd given Forgall that night until you brought me to the tower, and by that time--"

"What difference does it make?" Emery cried, surprising him as well as herself.

Cullen stared at her in shock. His lips moved as if he was unsure what to say, but he soon admitted, "Perhaps none. Whether I'd known or not, I would have wanted you. But I might have exercised more caution had I known you were that child. I might have . . . no. You are right. By the time I realized you were meant for the Gods, my desire was unmasterable. I wouldn't have turned back even had I wanted to try."