Emery Moves In

As dawn broke over the hilltops, filtering through the mist in filmy iridescent shafts, two horses forged a slow path toward Dun-Dealgan. One, a beautiful pale gray with dark, shaggy hair, was riderless, though he wore a lead that was held by an auburn-haired man on the large, glossy black stallion next to him. In front of Cullen, her back to his chest, sat Emery. He was much taller than she was, so her head nestled perfectly beneath his chin, and every so often he would bend and kiss her waves of hair. Cullen rode with one hand holding both Liath Macha's and Dub Sainglend's reins and his other arm wrapped around Emery's waist. They were silent most of the way, for much had been answered through their actions of the previous night, and while there would be more to discuss when they returned to the hillfort, in the present moment, each was content merely to savor what had happened--what was still happening--between them.

They'd known no cold, no discomfort, nor even the passing of time in one another's arms. And when they'd risen at last, Cullen had wrapped Emery's fur around her, and he'd dressed himself (strapping most of his armor to Dub Sainglend rather than wear it). Then he'd pulled Lugh's Spear from the pile of ash that had once been Lugaid, son of Cú Roí. The spear's flame had been dulled by the ashes, though it reignited with all its pulsing blue the moment it'd been retrieved, and it'd seemed unhappy in Cullen's hand. So he'd given it to Emery, and its flame had softened to a flicker, though she'd had to ride with it sideways on her lap, as Lugaid's blood did indeed drip continuously from the spearhead, browning and crinkling patches of grass onto which it fell.

As they rode toward Dun-Dealgan, Emery marveled at all that had happened. Whatever had driven her to ride out last night had been borne of weeks of brooding, of trying to know herself, and though she still had so many questions without answers, she had him, now. Oh, how she wanted Cullen, even in that moment sitting right in front of him--how she wanted to fold herself closer against him, so close that they could never be apart. Her heart had been so busy contending with her obstinacy, she'd wrapped it in so many layers of self-deception, that to be true to her feelings at last brought her almost more happiness than she could bear.

Once the watchtowers of Dun-Dealgan were visible, Cullen slowed the horses to a stop. Tightening his arm around her waist as if attempting to pull her nearer, he asked, "Are you ready, my Lady?"

Emery closed her eyes against the landscape before her, wanted instead to curl deeper into Cullen's warmth. "Should I ride Liath Macha? Do you think everyone will talk?"

"I would not let you go, now that I have you in my arms." She turned up to him, and he bent to kiss her before straightening and pushing the horses into motion once again, adding, "So let them talk."

If any had thoughts about Cullen and Emery as they arrived through the gates, no one said anything, at least, not to them. Once in the courtyard, Cullen disembarked from Dub Sainglend and, careful to watch Lugh's Spear, helped Emery down. The two of them gave the horses to Edan, who arrived in a burst of excitement at the Lord's return, and then the two of them headed toward his roundhouse at the back of the fort. Every person they passed expressed such great relief and joy at seeing Cullen that within minutes, the word of his return had spread, and crowds assembled along the pathways to his dwelling. He was vocal in warning them all to keep away from the spear, though, and while he seemed appreciative of his peoples' exultation, Emery knew he was also, in spite of their good intentions, frustrated at the attention, perhaps even embarrassed by it.

When they reached their destination, Emery stood and faced Cullen, and though they were surrounded by others, she knew only his steady gaze, his words: "Return the spear, and move your belongings. I will come to you as fast as I am able." Then, with an intense, penetrating look, Cullen set off to speak with his Knights.