Emery's Many Curses

When Emery at last reached the edge of the wood, when at last the fields and hills were visible beyond the dark trees, dusk had again fallen, but she felt no fear, now. She had the stag, and she had her weapon, and nothing had accosted them as they'd completed their journey through the forest. He was truly a magnificent animal, Emery realized while on his back. When she'd first met him in her backyard, he'd been out of place, out of time, and she'd not been ready to meet him. But this was where he belonged, and riding him calmly amongst the shadow and mystery of the forest, she'd felt, for the first time since arriving, a sense of belonging. How or why she knew the stag, she couldn't recall, but that didn't seem important. They were friends, somehow, and if Emery found anything at all strange about that, she didn't ponder it until long after she'd left him.

The moment the stag stepped from the forest's fringe, Emery saw Dun-Dealgan in the distance. The creature had brought her close enough that she could continue the journey on her own.

But she was not alone, for suddenly, there were shouts on either side of her, and from the left and right, soldiers on foot ran toward her. It was then that Emery noticed the torches of many more soldiers along the treeline, and their approaching lights were like fireflies descending upon her. She sat calmly as ever on the back of the white stag, no compulsion to move, until she heard a familiar voice.

"Emery!"

A man with longish black hair and pointed features was to her right, suddenly, and when she recognized Cathbad, she smiled. But he was looking at her strangely, not with any joy but in a sort of awe, maybe even a bit of terror. In the setting sunlight, she could make out his gray eyes glittering a bit wildly at her.

She might have said something, but a rider was approaching. In the dusk, she made out a huge gray stallion galloping toward them from the base of the hillfort, and she knew the beautiful animal belonged to Cullen.

"Now then," Emery said to the stag, the mens' expressions beyond their flickering torchlights making her quite uncomfortable. "I think it's time for you to go. You've helped me so much, though, so thank you."

The stag inclined its head, caught her words, and then knelt down in order for Emery to slide off his back. The soldiers and Cathbad and no doubt the approaching rider looked on with interest. Once her feet were on solid ground, Emery walked to the front of the creature, being careful not to let her spear's flame touch his antlers. She looked into the stag's eyes, thanked him sincerely, touched her forehead to his inclined head, and then watched as the animal made a roundabout and calmly walked back into the forest, his white shape visible for some while before the shadows at last swallowed him.

When the stag was no longer in sight, Emery turned and, having almost forgotten she was surrounded by people, startled a bit. Cullen was standing at the forefront of the soldiers, breathing as if he and not his horse had just run down that hill, and Cathbad was at his side. Both of them looked ridiculously out of sorts, the druid unable to stop staring at her spear, and Cullen unable to stop staring at her.

"I'm fine, all right?" Emery said at last, unsure why everyone was acting so weird. "The stag helped me find my way. I'm--what is wrong with all of you?"

Seeming at last to come to his senses, Cathbad stepped forward, stopping within several feet of her, his eyes flicking up to the spearhead and back to the girl. "Emery, you--you're all right? Entirely well?"

"Yes, of course!" she snapped, anxiety blooming in her the longer everyone stared. "It's been only a few hours! I'm sure you all know--the faeries . . . I understand the concern, but--"

"A few hours?" Cathbad caught her words. "No, Lady," he added seriously, quietly. "Nine suns have set since Lord Cuchulain returned without you."

For a moment, Emery just looked at him. Then she glanced at Cullen. His thoughts were incomprehensible, though he finally approached her, stepping around the druid, who warned him (to Emery's irritation) not to get close. Cullen didn't listen, though. He drew so near they could've hugged one another if inclined, and Emery was sure she read relief in his eyes. "Can you ride?" he asked her.