Chapter 10

"Detention, Namikaze." Orochimaru smiled, creepier than the one earlier. "And please refrain from fighting outside school too. If you don't want to have aching muscles or stay at the hospital during the supposed tournament. All Fighters are required to attend. You can treat it as an exam." He smirked. "A one-of-a-kind examination that makes students exert not only sweat but also blood."

I could feel the blood draining from my face at those words. Surely it was just some friendly game, right? Some friendly tournament, right? But as far as I had witnessed in the first three days that I transferred here, there was nothing game-like in the way students played in this school.

Damn...

And then there's the whole Sasuke bastard ordeal. I wonder if he and his underlings would ambush me somewhere outside the school. But hey, Orochimaru said that fighting was banned for two weeks, right? So I guessed there would be no one who'd kidnap me and disembowel me for hitting one of the Knights, right? Right? Please tell me I was right! I certainly didn't want to end up cemented in a barrel sinking in Konoha Bay!

In the end, I went back to the place where I last saw Sasuke bastard Uchiha. Of course, I was not hiding... I really wasn't! I lay down on my back on the soft ground again and looked at the sky. Or at least I looked towards the sky. It wasn't really the sky that I saw, but the quiet leaves rustling against one another on the branches of the trees. In between them were tiny rays of light coming from the sun but it wasn't enough to reach me permanently because the leaves were shifting and so were the rays. It was calming, looking at those leaves. I sighed.

Maybe I should go to my class.

The time was in the middle of the second period and I was sure that teacher Shizune would never hear the end of it if I came inside the classroom now. No, this school was different, right? Maybe I should go? And I sighed again. Since when did I become someone who would ditch classes just for the fun of it? Have I truly become one of these delinquents too?

But it's no matter. Since I already decided to go to class, I would definitely go.

And with my newfound determination to go to class, I padded down the corridors leading to the classroom where Mathematics 101 would be taught. I exhaled when I reached the door. It was closed. I bit my lower lip and I could feel my hands getting clammy. Maybe this wasn't a good idea after all? I think that it was far scarier to face an angry teacher than to face a horde of B Class students. You'd think I would say A Class or S Class? No, like I said, I was reckless, but not suicidal. And–

"Are you coming in or not?" A voice from behind the door said and that snapped me out of my thought. The door suddenly slammed open and a glaring Shizune looked down at me with piercing dark eyes. "Well?"

"Uh... sorry, I'm late." I gulped. But other than that, I tried my best not to show just how much I was regretting having the sudden urge to go to her class.

I felt relief when she seemed to have calmed down a bit at my apology. "Very well then, don't waste any more of my time by standing there. Get inside."

I nodded and walked inside the classroom just as some buzz of whispers reached my ears. I pretended not to notice even if it was quite exasperating. I looked for an empty chair and found one. And fuck. What do you know? It's in between that Sakura girl and that blondie. Really, f*ck. This was going to be the longest second period ever. And as usual, they were chatting endlessly, facing each other. I wonder why they didn't just sit beside one another just to save a bit of their dignity.

I glared at them before I sat in between them. They didn't seem to mind it though. They continued chatting like no one just sat in between them. And as for Shizune, she continued teaching without any heed to the conversation taking place quite loudly on my either side.