Chapter 23

Ren-sama's Note:

Here's the next chapter!! Please enjoy~!! ᶺoᶺ

.

Chapter 23

"I thought you would at least listen to your brother." Sasuke voiced quietly as we all walked towards the Stadium.

I did not answer him. I didn't need to because we both knew it was pointless anyway.

Sasuke's group members were following us from behind. They all looked surprised to see us together earlier but none of them commented since the situation didn't allow it. I could feel them staring at my back but I did not dare look behind me to confirm. It's better for me too since I didn't think I would want to blush right now of all times.

It was kind of embarrassing when they saw us having a little argument earlier. Sasuke kept on insisting that I listen to Nagato and refrain from going to the Stadium. They knew there's no way I would do that and yet they were still adamant on stopping me. I was a Fighter too, for Kami's sake.

I didn't want to be the only one who would get away while I knew that everyone, including Sasuke and aniki, would fight. I'd rather be hurt together with them than escape pain on my own. Sasuke and aniki of all people should know how that would feel. Aside from the deep humiliation, there's also the fact that it would make me feel so helpless and weak.

I walked by Sasuke's left side and Sai on his right. Kimimarou and Yahiko walked in front of us without talking. Their auras seemed tense.

I closed my eyes. I knew I showed some humiliating side of me earlier when I first felt those ominous chakra coming from the Akatsuki. But now that I've become accustomed to the feeling, I found out that it was kind of childish to be overwhelmed and intimidated by just feeling it. The real deal wasn't even in front of me and I acted so out of character. Or maybe I was just shocked... Or maybe, the fact that I could walk with my own two feet now was because Sasuke said those words to me...

"Don't worry. I'll definitely protect you."

I closed my eyes as I remembered the feeling I had then. I thought it would feel humiliating to be told those words. The way Sasuke said them, however, didn't make me feel like he was belittling my abilities. It felt like he was genuinely promising me that he would do it, no matter what happened. And that made the difference...

Now that I thought about, I could feel some glares from behind me. Neji and Karin huh... I couldn't help but scowl. I thought I already knew what must be going on inside the minds of those two. They must be itching to ask what the hell was going on between me and Sasuke.

"So..." Contrary to all belief, however, it was Gaara who opened his mouth. "The two of you are going out?" Everyone actually stopped walking and stared at him in bewilderment. Who would have thought that it was him who'd ask the one-million-dollar question? He seemed to have sensed some disbelieving stares so he added, "...It's just to clarify things before the battle."

Sasuke looked at my stunned face before he looked at his subordinates with his usual cool and bored expression. "Yes, we are. Is there a problem with that?" And the bastard even crossed his arms over his chest as he wore a scowl.

I actually looked at him with wide eyes, barely controlling the urge to gape and face-palm. What the heck was he being so surly for??? He definitely looked like he was daring anyone to try arguing or something like that.

"Y-Y-You're... d-d-dating...?" Karin looked like she was about to faint from too much shock and information overload. "..." And she did.

Neji looked aghast. It seemed he wanted to say something since he opened and closed his mouth several times but he was at a loss for words. Even Sai who seemed to have figured everything out must have been quite surprised since Sasuke voiced it out loud without any reservation. Suigetsu looked like he was on the verge of passing out too. Gaara, the person who asked, merely nodded before he started walking once again.