𝑖𝑖 - frank

"You're Ares," Percy said. "What do you want?"

A collective gasp went up from two hundred kneeling campers and one elephant. The god bared his teeth at the single soldier still standing.

"You've got spunk, demigod," he said. "Ares is my Greek form. But to these followers, I am Mars–patron of the empire of Rome."

"We've met," Percy said, brow knitting as if struggling to remember something. "We... we had a fight..."

The god shrugged. "I fight a lot of people. But I assure you–you've never fought me as Mars. If you had, you'd be dead. Now kneel, as befits a child of Rome, before you try my patience."

Frank hissed at him to comply and so, although not without some reluctance, Percy did.

Mars scanned the crowd. "Romans, lend me your ears!" He laughed heartily. "I've always wanted to say that. I come from Olympus with a message." He pointed at Gwen. "This one should be dead, yet she's not. The monsters you fight no longer return to Tartarus when they are slain. Some mortals who died long ago are now walking the earth again."

Was it Frank's imagination, or did the god glare at Nico di Angelo when he said this?

"Thanatos has been chained," Mars announced. "The Doors of Death have been forced open, and there is only one person policing them, not very well, I might add." From the corner of his eye, Frank saw the son of Hades stand indignantly, mouth opening, but Mars raised a hand. "Gaea provides our enemies the path to pour forth into the world of mortals. Her sons the giants are mustering armies against you–armies that you will not be able to kill. Unless Death is unleashed to return to his duties, you will be overrun. You must find Thanatos and free him from the giants. Only he can reverse the tide."

As Reyna and Octavian stood cautiously to question the god, Frank's head positively swam with the new information. He barely registered Mars explaining how the barriers between life and death were weakening, allowing not only Gaea to take advantage of them but also monsters and mortals to slip through on their own. The god ordered a quest to free Thanatos, making up his own prophecy on the spot, before Frank was jolted out of his reverie by a loudly clearing throat in front of him.

"Hey, kid. C'mere."

No way, Frank thought. A sense of dread settled over him, but he couldn't stop it as he raised his head and stepped forward. Mars grinned. "Nice job taking the wall, kid. Who's the ref for this here war game?"

Reyna raised her hand.

"You see that play, ref?" Mars demanded. "That was my son, and unless you're blind, that was an MVP move. You're not blind, are you?"

Reyna looked like she was trying to swallow a mouse and Frank felt like he'd already digested one. "No, Lord Mars."

"Then make sure he gets the Mural Crown," Mars demanded. "My kid, here!" he yelled at the legion, in case anyone hadn't heard. "Emily Zhang's son. She was a good soldier, good woman." He promptly tossed Frank an M16 as a birthday gift before turning to the rest of the legion. "Now, Frank Zhang is gonna lead the quest to free Thanatos, unless there are any objections?"

Of course, no one said a word. "You can take two companions," Mars continued. "Those are the rules. But one of them needs to be this kid." He pointed at Percy. "It's your goddamn fault the little reaper is all in a tizzy, and fighting's no fun when your opponents don't stay dead. So you're going to make up for it. As for the second, I don't care. Pick whomever you want. Have one of your senate debates. You all are good at those. Do not disappoint me!"

And in an eruption of flames, Mars disappeared. Percy looked just about as dazed and confused as the newly claimed demigod felt, whereas Reyna looked like she'd finally managed to get that mouse down as she raised her arm in a Roman salute. "Ave, Frank Zhang, son of Mars."

And Frank couldn't even enjoy it, staring at his new friend in horror, the weight of what had just happened sinking in for them both. Mars was his father, and the god of war had given Frank more than just this new dragontooth rifle x spear for his birthday. He'd been handed a death sentence.

₪₪₪

The Pax sped through the waters of the San Francisco Bay, taking them out past the Golden Gate Bridge. Sitting on a pile of rocks on the shoreline was an old homeless guy, surrounded by sea lions. Frank swore he pointed a bony finger at Percy and mouthed something like Don't even think about it.

Clearly Hazel noticed too. "Did you see that?" she asked.

Percy's face was red in the glow of the setting sun. "Yeah. I've been here before. I... I don't know. I think I was looking for someone." His face scrunched, then suddenly lit up like a Christmas tree. "Annabeth!" He exclaimed.

"Annabeth," Frank repeated. "Is that your girlfriend or something?"

"No, no," Percy shook his head. "My girlfriend's hair is black," he said, face taking on a dreamy quality. "She's pretty."

Frank and Hazel exchanged a confused glance. Right. Like that cleared everything up perfectly. But Percy said no more, eyes going somewhere far far away on the horizon, and so the boat was silent as they sailed toward the land beyond the gods.