𝑥𝑖 - asphodel

Spoiler alert: they didn't take anything to go (unfortunately) and they didn't make it to the ship (also unfortunately).

Before they were even halfway across the dock, a squadron of giant eagles descended, each depositing a Roman commando in full battle armor in front of them. The scrawny one in the middle raised the visor of his helmet. "Surrender to Rome!" Octavian shrieked.

Hazel drew her cavalry sword and grumbled, "Fat chance, Octavian."

Ash could hear Annabeth cursing under her breath. She understood why, the situation was bad. By himself, the skinny augur wouldn't have been much of a threat, but it was the four other bulky soldiers that worried her. Ash made a quick assessment; they were outnumbered, and Piper and Beth were only armed with knives. Oh, and she'd left her own knives on the ship, not wanting to deal with them while they walked. All in all, it wasn't exactly the most fighting-est of odds.

Piper raised her hands in a placating gesture. "Octavian, what happened at camp was a setup. We can explain."

"Can't hear you!" Octavian sang. "Wax in our ears--standard procedure when battling evil sirens. Now, throw down your weapons and turn around slowly so I can bind your hands."

"Let me skewer him," Hazel said. "Please."

"Avenge those bears," muttered Ash.

Her mind was racing as she considered their possibilities of escape. She could tell they were running out of time. The eagles circled overhead, crying out as if to alert their brethren: Hey, we've got some tasty Greek cuisine over here! Ash couldn't see the flying chariot anymore but assumed it was close by, and augh, the sunlight was so bright, and Hazel didn't know how to shadow-travel, and... They needed help. The ship was only about fifty feet away, but there was no sign of Coach Hedge on deck. He was probably watching some stupid kung-fu movie below. If one of them could get on board, they could use the ballistae, but there was no way around the Romans. Jason's group wasn't due back until sunset, and Percy would be underwater completely unawares.

Percy. Percy! You know, maybe it wasn't so bad she was always thinking about him. An idea began to formulate in her rather smooth brain.

"Well?" Octavian demanded. His friends drew their swords.

Very slowly, Ash twisted the ring around her finger to unsheathe her sword. In one quick motion, she yeeted it as far as she could into the water.

Octavian made a squeaking sound. "What was that for? I didn't say toss it! That could've been evidence. Or a spoil of war!"

Ash tried for her most cherubic smile, clasping her hands behind her back and shrugging slightly as if to say, Silly me. Annabeth was smirking like she knew what Ash was planning, which with her wrinkly-ass brain she probably already did.

Octavian seemed to buy the little angel act. He huffed in exasperation. "You other three..." He pointed his blade at the girls standing next to her. "Put your weapons on the dock. No funny bus--"

Before he could finish, Charleston Harbor exploded around them like Disneyland's Wonderful World of Color. When the waves subsided, the five Romans were spluttering in the bay, desperately trying to stay afloat in their armor. Percy stood on the end of the dock, holding Ash's sword gingerly by the hilt.

"You dropped this," he said, totally poker-faced.

Ash barreled into him, throwing her arms around his chest. "I love love LOVE you!"

"Guys," Hazel interrupted with a little smile on her face. "We need to hurry."

From the water, Octavian yelled, "Get me out of here! I'll kill you!"