Saged burn

Chapter Eight.

Hiccups P.O.V.

I walked faster and faster as Toothless began to rush through the forest, the distance we put between ourselves and those beasts made me feel slightly safer. The air was different in this part of the forest, the air smelled, better. It was a crisp scent, it was just a bit sweeter, sweet. My stomach growled as well as Toothless who ignored his stomach pain and moved forward, but I couldn't. The temperature here was much much warmer, too warm one might say as sweat beat down my face. But thankfully the wind swept by causing a cooler feel around me, but the atmosphere had more of a creepier vibe, a red glow set across the green leafed trees. I looked up and noticed the moon looked blood shot and rounded perfectly compared to yesterday, a soft roar coming from Toothless caught my attention. He sniffed and scratched at a spot near the foot of the tree, I walked over and pressed against it.

It was damp and felt weakened but also had a sturdy feel to it, I looked closer and felt the ground it was damp too. "Hey bud look at this." I called, there was a foot print embedded in the dirt. I pointed at the print and Toothless began to sniff the area around it and did his version of a smile. "Yes." I breathed, it means one of them is alive and maybe, just maybe the other one would be too. I smiled as he began to walk in a different direction from which it led. "Bud, the prints go this way." But he ignored me and kept sniffing away at the forest carpet, I wouldn't argue with the reptile that has a nose for this sort of thing. With Toothless heading off track worried me, what if it was because she had died on accident and he is trying to pick up a new scent, or what if their scent was lost and now where are back at square one.

This is crazy, I mean what am I supposed to do without either of them. Astrid may have broke my heart, but she is still very important to me I couldn't lose her. She meant way to much, actually she meant more to me then Merida but I still felt strongly about her, Merida. I just met her, but it felt like I've know her all my life, she hadn't judged me or my dragon. Like a lot of people did when they first met Toothless, I feel like my life will always be given a gift that gets lost. I couldn't understand why it was or why this is the way my life works, if I hadn't met any of them, they wouldn't be hurt. It's funny how something that seems so small can change your view on the entire world, but it's not something small is it? It's a death, and now, it's a possibility that it's two deaths. I frowned momentarily as Toothless continued forth, 'I don't want to continue' was the only main thought weighting on my mind, along with how hungry I was. I hadn't been out here for so long, so why am I so hungry? I guess fighting for your life does that to a person, but I ignored food all together because it'll only make it worse and I will keep my focus on Toothless.

My head began hurt, I could feel the vein in my head throb violently as we walked in the intense heat. I wasn't about to complain considering Astrid and Merida's problem, but I really wish I could find water. An cool breeze blew over me and Toothless, and besides bringing relief from the heat, it brought a sweet scent. I knew Toothless had fought it because he instantly began to sniff in that direction, and I happily followed letting him lead the way to what I am praying is food. He climbed over the stumps off trees as I wondered where the rest of the tree had gone, finally I heard Toothless scratch at the tree, I looked up to where fruit hung from it. 'What type of forest like this, grows fruit?' I asked myself as I climbed the tree carefully gripping to the branches, finally the scent became clear and the sweetness blinded me momentarily before I reached forward and began to pluck them from the stem. I pushed them into the lather sack I hadn't realized I had until a few moments ago, it was small and nothing to fancy, but it was enough to keep me and Toothless satisfied for a few before we find Astrid and Merida.

I slowly climbed down the tree occasionally grunting in pain from pricking my fingers on the bark, my foot broke a weak branch and I began to fall from the tree. Suddenly I felt a sharp pain rip through my back as I landed on the damp forest floor, the weak ground caved in when I landed on it but just a mere dent. "Ugh." I whined as I attempted to moved from the floor but Toothless rushed over and helped me pick myself up, I showed him a pained smile and held up the bag of fruit in triumph. Toothless let out a happy whin and moved out from under me to kneel like a type of dog and wait for me to toss him a fruit, so I quickly fished into the bag and threw two into the air simultaneously while he opened his mouth to catch the fruit. I watched as the juice from the fruit drip down his chin and his tongue fished from his mouth to catch it, I took about four more and rolled it over to him before pulling one out for myself. It was a fairly a large sized fruit with red-orange and yellow-ish coloring, I took my dagger and cut the fruit open slightly. The meat of the fruit was orange with a sweet tangy smell, I ripped off the already cut piece and chucked it into my mouth.