Everlasting love

Chapter Nine.

Hiccups P.O.V.

I laughed for sometime while eating more of the juicy fruit, and I couldn't help but let a smile spread across my face, even though something in my mind told me I was going to regret this, but I just didn't really care. "Bud." I said as I watched him hop around in circles before taking his tail and wagging it back and forth in the air, making me laugh. "What are you doing?" I inquired as he began to roll around along the dirt, I watched as dirt began to fill the saddle that I sit on. "Bud, wait ju-" It was just a bit uncalled for as he thrashed around at my remark. "Hey calm down." But he already had his nose buried about six feet deep into the ground, a deep roar vibrated along the forest floor. Of course, only Toothless. "Hey bud what is it?" I was nervous, I shouldn't have been but I was. Too nervous one might say, but I pushed it aside. I couldn't quiet figure out why but Toothless seem sad as he dragged his nose along the ground, smelling for something or someone. His head popped up instantly and he seemed to have caught a scent when his nose was like ten feet high, I looked at him and he began to move at a steady pace towards a certain direction, the raising sun now glowing in his path. The forest seemed to bend unnaturally in this direction, as if it was death itself. It was very weird and I didn't want to admit to the fact that I was actually scared and thought about giving up again, but Toothless began too move at a quicker pace.

I followed closely behind Toothless as he moved quiet fast towards an area, the sound of a run off water traveling through the leaves of the trees. An uneasy feeling settled into my stomach and it churned, violently. The sound of water did happen to ease my thoughts, I hadn't a clue as to why, though. I couldn't possibly get stuck here, when I have a dragon at my side. Maybe it was just that I am a little nervous as Toothless traveled even faster towards the waterfall, but then again, anyone in my shoes would feel nervous. A small, yet deep growl came from Toothless breaking my thoughts, I looked up. Relief and sadness washed over me as I saw a figure in the distance, Astrid, it was Astrid! Fear, that is now what consumed me as I watched her body fall and she screamed in agony. I froze momentarily, as her body shivered violently amongst the forest floor, but all too quickly I was snapped back into my original state as her body slowly began to withdraw from the movement. "Astrid!" I screamed moving towards her body, her head wasn't facing me, not at first, I saw the back of her neck. It was purple, it was bruised. Along with that bruise was a small cut embedded in her skin, her head painfully looked at me.

"Hiccup." It wasn't even a whisper, it was like the last wave of an echo, so quiet it was as if she hadn't said anything. And for a moment I had forgot she had, but my speed picked up as her eye stay open, her eyes that were once bright and lively were now dull and lifeless.

"Astrid!" I screamed again in a failed attempt to frighten her into blinking, she didn't, her eyes, were painlessly glue open. "Astrid, please." I tried to scream, but my throat burned, no, my larynx burned. The wind swept by, blowing some of her soft blond hair over her eyes. I dropped to my knees in front of her, disbelief forcing its way into my mind. It was terrible, she looked so broken, so defenseless, and I couldn't save her. There was a bruise over her chin that was awfully large, it looked painful. Her fair skin was now a weird shade of grey, oh my god. "Oh my god." I worked out, tears slowly dripped from my eyes, and my lower lip quivered furiously. I pulled her on to my lap and almost threw up, her stomach had a pretty deep cut, which blood still oozes out of. One of her hands was drenched with the thick liquid, her once warm, soft and inviting pink lips were now cold, exclusive and deep blue. My tears now covered her face, and I held her bloody hand as if it made a difference and pulled her body close to mine.

I looked at her, I looked at her eyes, those dull, dull eyes. And they wouldn't even look at me back, they stared into the bright sky that a warm sun now set a warm glow over us. And all I did was cry, I couldn't do anything else, I shouldn't have stopped to eat, I shouldn't have stopped to laugh. Or right now those lifeless eyes would be gleaming with happiness and smiling at me, but instead they looked into a sky that held no promises, and it was all my fault. I can't even say sorry, I can't say anything, nothing. I squeezed her bloody hand tighter, and it was so cold, I remember when her hands used to hold me, or press against me, in ways no words could ever explain, and they were warm. But they aren't now, and how badly do I wish they were. Merida, doesn't matter right now, her death would be sad, I would tear, but her death is nothing compared to Astrid's. The chains she wrapped and locked around my heart has tightened, blood still dropped and oozed from her stomach and I screamed. I can't. "Astrid... i, i-" I couldn't even managed the sentence, I quickly faces away from her body and hurled, all over the dirt. I quivered, wiping my lips with the sleeve near the bend of my elbow. I looked back at her, she looked so peaceful, in the wrong way, and I wondered, did she even know she was going to die? What a terrible way to go. Knowing your death, knowing exactly that no one will come in time, thinking that I probably didn't love her. But she would be so wrong, I wasn't- I don't hate her, I never could, even if I had tried, she meant way to much, and it's a shame it took this moment. This moment right here, as she laid lifeless in my arms with a body colder then ice, to realize just how deep the cut of love she has given me. I took my, now bloodily hand and brushed my thumb over her lips, the lips I once kissed so passionately that the world once had stopped. "I love you, I've always loved you Astrid." I bent down and pressed a soft kiss on her lips, I needed to one last time, I swear I did. I will never forgive myself, I had let my true love die today, and that's unforgivable. Imagine yourself cupping your hands over a pile of dirt with gold, and in your hand was sacred water. And just to catch a small glimpse of the gold you spread apart your finger, and all that sacred, lovely water falls through the cracks between you fingers that shouldn't have ever been there, and the water is never to be returned. I looked behind me one last time, Toothless was gone.