Chapter 5: Bubblegum and Hidden Truths

Soon enough, it was time for my shift the next night. With a bit more enthusiasm than the previous night, I hopped in my car and took off for work. I parked my car and opened the back door to meet up with Michael. "Hey," he said with a grin. "Nice to see you didn't leave me here all alone", he said jokingly. I smiled. "I'm just glad I don't have to work here alone. Those animatronics moving around are scary at night!" He laughed. "I'll have to agree with you on that one. Suppose we should check our task for tonight." We checked the clip board. Tonight's task was maintenance on the Circus Baby animatronic. We headed inside the elevator to start our shift. "Would you like a piece of bubble gum?", Michael offered. "Sure", I said. He handed me a piece before popping one into his own mouth. We stood there for a minute silently. "It's strange how children actually like these things", I said to break the silence. "The animatronics I mean. I've always thought they were so creepy." Michael laughed. "Yeah, they're quite strange. Peculiar how father designed them. No wonder he spent so much time alone. Always working on designs for new characters and putting them together, he was a genius really." There was a moment of silence. "I suppose I should tell you the truth about my family", he said suddenly. "The truth?", I asked, curious. "Yeah", he said. He told me about the incident at the old Fredbear's Dinner. He was only fifteen when it happened. He and his friends had been picking at his little brother, whose birthday party was being held there. He always picked on him, and he explained how he was a horrible brother and a constant bully. That day, he and his friends thought it would be funny to give his little brother a scare by getting him super close to the animatronics, since he knew he was terrified of them. They all agreed that he wanted to give Fredbear a big kiss, and held him up to the animatronic and stuck his head in its massive jaw. However, because his little brother was crying, the wet tears caused a malfunction in the animatronic suit, and the spring locks activated, crushing his head. He was rushed to the hospital, but unfortunately because of his injuries, he passed several days later. Ever since then, Michael had been distant from his family, and shortly after his sister, Elizabeth, went missing. She was never found. "That's the story", Michael said. I could see the pain in his eyes, and though I was baffled that all of this had happened to him, I didn't know what to say. I looked at him with empathy. "I-I'm so sorry", I stammered. "I had no idea you went through all that." "You shouldn't feel sorry for me", he said. "It was all my fault. I got him killed. All because my pride of thinking I was so much better than him got to my head. I bullied him because he cried a lot, and I thought he was a baby. I suffered the consequences of my past actions and now my family is gone and I live alone, dwelling on the past." I felt horrible. This poor boy, I thought. He seemed so sweet, but knowing what he had been through broke my heart.  It wasn't entirely his fault. He didn't intend to hurt his brother, only prank him. And besides, he was young and his friends probably influenced him to do it. Without thinking I walked over to Michael and rested my hand on his cheek, looking him in the eyes. This was the first time I had really looked him in the eyes. Those deep, brown eyes. A single tear rolled down his cheek, and I gently wiped it off with my finger. "Just know that I'll be here for you, Michael", I said softly. I don't think you're a bad person. You helped me figure out where I was going yesterday, and you even lended me a hand when I was scared. Don't think bad of yourself because of something you did then, think about how you are now. I never expected to have someone be so kind to me on my first day of my first job, and I'm glad to be working with you." I looked at him. He smiled slightly and lifted a hand to rest it on mine, which was still on his cheek. "You are truly too kind Y/N", he said. We stared at each other for a moment. He was so pretty, the way his mouth curved when he smiled, those eyes...oh those eyes. I could look in them for days, become lost in the void that was his beautiful eyes. The sensation of butterflies in my stomach was stronger that ever before, and I simply lost control of my own movements. I moved my face closer to his, closer until we were inches apart. I felt my eyes become heavy, and he was struck with a look of awe. I slowly closed my eyes, and moved my hand from his cheek to around his neck. He responded by pulling me into a gentle embrace, and lifted a hand to cup the side of my face. I slowly parted my lips as they met his, embracing the sweet kiss that was that very moment. His lips were soft and gentle, and I could smell the bubblegum scent from his sweet breath. His kisses were soft and gentle, but never far from loving and tender. After a moment. I opened my eyes to see him smiling at me. "Wow", he said. "T-that was something." I smiled. "Yeah", I replied. "So uh, w-what do we do now?", he asked. "I'm not really sure", I replied. We would have to discuss this later, because just then the elevator door opened. "I suppose this will have to wait", I said. "We still have work to do." "Ready for night two?", he asked. "Ready as I'll ever be," I said enthusiastically. We looked at each other and smiled. I held out a hand before leaving the elevator. "Come on Mr. Eggs Benedict", I said with a laugh. "Let's get this work out of the way so we can hang later, and maybe go out somewhere if you're up to it." He smiled and took my hand. We left the elevator hand in hand ready to tackle whatever was to come our way.