The Hard Decision

Hiccup and the gang were flying to the Edge, all defeated. For the most part, they were coming back from a mission at Viggo's, which they had no choice but to retreat from the powerful enemy. 

Astrid looked at Hiccup. "Don't worry about it, we can train harder for the next one and be more prepared."

Hiccup smiled at her. "Thanks," he said, patting Toothless. He knows she was trying to cheer him up. He made it look like it did. But deep down, there was something Viggo Grimborn said that triggered his mind. He couldn't let it go.

"You say freeing the Dragon's from my grasp will benefit them. But what will it benefit to you? Someday you're going to wake up, and find your best friend- oh say, maybe your girlfriend- isn't there anymore, simply because you couldn't back out a mission. They will be gone- like your mother. What's it to you then?"

Hiccup dwindled in his comment- which no one else but him heard- and thought long about it, deciding what to do. What he means by it.

Is it simply a tactic for Hiccup to stop raiding their camps? Or is Viggo foreshadowing of his plans to get rid of someone- Astrid?

"Hiccup? Hello, Hiccup?" Astrid said, trying to get his attention. 

"Oh, what?" Hiccup responded, deep in thought.

"We're here at the Edge," she replied. 

Hiccup looked to see them flying over the Edge, the twins just landing at their hut.

Hiccup landed at his hut, about to go inside, when a hand tugged at his, pulling him in for a kiss. "Don't worry," Astrid said. "There's always next time. We'll get them- we will." With that, she kissed him passionately on the lips, and broke off, leaving Hiccup stunned. 

"I-I- don't worry, Astrid, I suppose you're right," Hiccup responded nervously. 

Astrid smiled warmly. "I know." She ventured off to her hut, thinking positive things.

Meanwhile, Hiccup sat down on his bed at his hut. He put his head on his hands, while Toothless looked over him.

"Someday I won't have Astrid because I couldn't back out a mission," Hiccup echoed Viggo's words in his head. 

"Did he really mean that?" Hiccup asked himself aloud. Toothless grumbled in response.

"I know, bud," Hiccup said as Toothless neared him and laid his head on his rider's lap, in return getting a scratch on his head. "I'm overthinking this. You know what- I totally am. Let me just go and pretend he didn't say it."

Hiccup stood up, and made his way to the clubhouse. Astrid, and the twins were currently playing a game of Maces and Talons, Snotlout was sleeping against Hookfang, while Fishlegs studied his dragon cards and notes.  

"Hey Hiccup!" Fishlegs greeted. "What's our next move?"

Hiccup sat down, thinking. "We train. We go around and survey their moves. We hit them next when we're ready for it."

"Oh, come on H!' Tuffnut grumbled. "Belch can totally take them on!"

"Says the Viking who got blown into the sea," Ruffnut retorted.

"Excuse me, sister, but I clearly remember you were there with me!"

"Oh, guys, just stop!" Hiccup ordered. 

"Oh, did someone say soomething?' Snotlout muttered groggily as he woke up. 

"Yes, we found out your dad is in cahoots with Viggo!" Ruffnut taunted. 

Snotlout choked while trying to stand up on his feet, but ended up on the floor. "What?!"

"Chillax, it's just a joke," Astrid laughed.