29

Chapter 29// Apollo

The door opens with a small click and my breath lodges in my throat when I see a much taller and now blonde Arabella standing behind Blue, a wary look on her face as she looks up at me.

My eyes sting with tears as I step into their home and I feel out of place. Almost like I'm intruding.

Arabella says nothing and steps away as I walk past. I can't ignore the clench in my chest at the thought of her not wanting to be near me, but I have to understand that this is all a shock to her. All these years, she thought I was dead. She grieved for me.

Swallowing hard, I crouch down on one knee. I still tower over her, even though she's grown considerably since the last time I saw her.

"Hi, bug." My voice cracks and her lip trembles. She stays hidden behind Blue's body, peering over me with wide eyes. "Come here, Bella." I open my arms up and offer her a warm smile, but she doesn't even move. I look up at Blue to see a sympathetic look adorned on her beautiful face.

She turns around and crouches down in front of Arabella, running her fingers through her curly blonde hair.

"It's okay, baby," Blue says to my sister in her soothing voice, and I have to look away when a small whimper leaves Arabella's mouth. "I know you're upset. It's okay." Blue grabs a tissue and dabs away at the tears falling down her face.

"Bluey." Arabella sobs, throwing her arms around Blue's shoulders. The more she cries, the harder I'm finding it to breathe. I rub at my chest, cursing myself for stupidly thinking that Arabella would be okay with me walking through the door like I wasn't supposed to be dead for the last five years.

"It's okay, Belle. Everything is okay, it's only your brother. He's missed you so much." Blue reassures her, rubbing her back while whispering over and over that everything is okay.

It takes Blue nearly twenty minutes to calm my little sister down and as soon as she has, Bella pulls away from behind the shield of Blue and takes small cautious steps toward me. Her brown eyes are wide and her mouth is slightly open like she can't believe what she's seeing. She probably can't, in all honesty.

I crouch back down on my knee, not wanting to intimidate her any more than I already have.

"A-Apollo?" She whispers, reaching up to place her warm hand on my cheek. "I've missed you so much. Please don't leave me again!" She croaks and throws herself at me in full force. I wrap my arms tightly around her, burying my nose into her strawberry smelling hair.

"I'm sorry, bug," I whisper. "I never wanted to leave you. Please believe me." I plead with her as she tightens her arms around me.

"I know." She says and my whole body relaxes.

"Do you forgive me?" I grab hold of her hands and look at her, my eyes filled with desperation.

"I forgive you and I love you loads. Always."

"I love you loads too, bug. Always."

•••

"So, Christmas is in a couple of days." I place my hands in my pockets as I awkwardly stand behind Blue, who is preparing popcorn for all of us.

"I know." She looks over her shoulder at me and smiles gently. "What are you doing for Christmas?" My face falls when she turns her head back around and I swallow hard.

What does she mean, what am I doing?!

"I-Erm, I was hoping you and Arabella would spend it with me." I rub the back of my neck awkwardly. "I-I've bought you all presents and I've got the food and everything." My face heats in embarrassment as I seem to make a fool of myself in front of the love of my life.

"The problem is—"

"It's fine. Forget I asked, it was silly of me." I wave my hand about and try to busy myself so I can avoid her burning stare. "So fucking stupid," I mumble to myself.

The touch of Blue's acrylic nails scraping gently across my arm has me jumping in shock, and I spin to face her with wide eyes.

"Apollo, we'd love to spend Christmas with you. But the problem is, my family, is flying out tomorrow night." My shoulders deflate, knowing I'll probably have to spend Christmas alone. Again.

"It's fine, Blue." I shake my head and give her a small smile.

She reaches up with her hand and caresses my beard with her soft hand.

"They already know." My breath hitches at her sudden confession. "They're not mad before you ask. They don't think that you're a bad person. They understand why you did what you did, okay?" My eyes sting with tears, but I nod my head, rubbing at my eyes.

"So we can spend Christmas together?" I question hopefully, and Blue grins.

"Apollo, I would have never let you celebrate alone." She laughs lightly, reaching up on her tip-toes to place a soft kiss on my lips. "It will be our first Christmas together as a family." Her arms wrap loosely around my shoulders, and my hands grasp gently onto her waist.

"Family," I whisper against her lips, my heart beating just a little quicker at the word.

We sway gently in the kitchen, keeping our eyes on each other.

"I love you, Blue."

"I love you, Apollo." She whispers, her eyes fluttering closed, as I place a soft kiss on her forehead.

A sense of satisfaction makes its way through my body and the content feeling has me grinning from ear to ear. This is all I ever wanted.

"Is the popcorn ready? I want to start the film now!"  We both laugh at an impatient Arabella shouting from the living room.

"Go on, mummy." I wink and Blue playfully rolls her eyes.

"You're a pain in the ass. You know that, right?"

"As long as it's yours, I don't care." I shrug and turn on my heel, walking back to the living room.

Spotting my sister curled on the floor, surrounded by a load of pillows and blankets, I decide to take a seat next to her. I think she's still struggling to believe that I'm back, well and alive. She looks at me like I'm an alien.

"You alright, bug?" I question as I crouch down on the floor. I wrap my arm around her shoulder, my heart warming as she curls herself into my body.

"I'm good. I like that you're here with us. Are you staying forever now?" She looks up at me with hopeful eyes and I nod my head.

"I'm here forever now, bug. Nothing is going to pull me away from you ever again, I promise." I tell her, a serious tone in my voice. "I'm here to protect you now, you and Blue. I'm going to look after you. We're going to be a family. Just what we wanted, hey?" I pinch her cheek and wiggle my eyebrows.

"Yes, yes, yes! This is the best day ever!" She squeals in excitement at the same time Blue walks in with a bowl of popcorn.

"Room for me?" She tilts her head, handing the bowl to Arabella.

I open my legs and pat the space in between them. She raises her eyebrows, placing her hands on her waist. I shrug, noticing Arabella is oblivious to it all.

A smile forms on my face when Blue situates herself in between my legs, her back resting against my front. Arabella plays the movie, but I can't keep my eyes on the bright colours playing on the screen in front of me, instead keeping my eyes on Blue and Arabella. My little family.

A/N
Nearly finished 🥺💚