══ Chapter One ══

It is usual to find in a pair of friends a duality, two complementing sides. These differences accentuate when the relationship is also based on a family bond. With the passing of years, both individuals acquire the ability to read their opposed relative before they express their thoughts out loud. Mr. Thomas Hardy had completely adapted to his cousin's behaviour. Therefore, found no need to feign a bright disposition. The same occurred for Mr. Arthur Allen, whose sunbeam positive character was enough to sustain them through daily life. A silent agreement prevailed unbroken and immortal: comfort and protection over all distress and hardships.

The more frequent presence of the sun in the sky of England indicated summer arrived energetically, and in consequence, both friends' last semester at university came to an end. Mr. Allen, a gentleman only one year younger than his dear cousin, decided to spend some time in Bath to recover from that stressful era. He was eager to visit for the first time the famous Roman Baths, relax in the Pump Room near there and forget about everything else. As expected, he managed to convince Mr. Hardy to accompany him. The eldest gentleman left in London his little sisters at the care of their governess, with their father. Unfortunately, Lord Hardy was unable to be responsible for neither his family nor himself, as he was in a critical condition, health terribly deteriorated.

The view of the countryside through the window of the carriage was the perfect calming sight for the beginning of summer. Everything the sun touched seemed to shine like gold. Mr. Hardy had an almost imperceptible smile lingering on his lips while seeing the excitement of Mr. Allen.

"Father could not have given me a better present," he said. "A country house solely for my personal use! With the addition of fifteen servants no less. Tommy, I am delighted."

Mr. Hardy's smile grew bigger. "You were one of the best students of our university. The house is a suitable present."

As they entered Bath, the feeling of strange comfort surrounded them. The contrast with their hometown was evident and Mr. Allen instantly realised he preferred it more. A couple of people turned their heads towards their carriage, fancier than anything from around. In between those curious eyes was Mrs. Baker, whose youngest daughter turned seventeen not long ago. She quickly made her way towards the path the carriage was going through, knowing very well every corner of the town, and arrived with a few seconds to spare before it. Mrs. Baker intercepted the first servant she saw and handed him an envelope, strictly instructing him to give it to the master of the house as soon as he arrived. Mrs. Baker had a strong character and carried herself with confidence, so the servant did as he was told.

"A message already? What is it about?" asked Mr. Allen, confused but enthusiastic to discover more.

"Mrs. Baker came with an invitation, sir. For the upcoming ball."

Mr. Allen and Mr. Hardy exchanged puzzled glances. The youngest took a step forward, grabbed the envelope and opened it. "A ball you say? What occasion is going to be celebrated?"

"I believe it must say on the paper you are holding, sir."

The servant gave a little curtsy and left to begin unpacking the luggage of the gentlemen. Mr. Hardy waited next to his friend until he finished reading.

"A ball to introduce Mr. and Mrs. Baker's youngest daughter to society! That is wonderful!" Mr. Allen turned to his cousin, his eyes shining with excitement. "It is the perfect opportunity to gain new acquaintances."

Mr. Hardy frowned. His lips tight in a straight line and his hands behind his back.

"We came here exactly to live moments like these. It will do you good to clear your head with music and dancing."