══ Chapter Four ══

At The Barnes' household, dinner was prepared and served by their wonderful cook. The sounds of a lively evening surrounded the ambience. Mrs. Barnes adored having her house full of conversations and laughs, her family complete. It always meant she would get updated in all matters of town and its younger generations, something that her reunions in the Pump Room or with her dear friends Mrs. Baker and Mrs. Young missed.

"He seemed to be feeling unwell, mama," commented Eddie, next to George.

"Indeed. His life seems to be bothered by an internal force," Jane added, sitting in between Henry and William, who were racing to see how many buns with butter they could eat in the shortest time. "Mr. Hardy should reconsider his actions thoughtfully."

"Well, my dears, with such an income every year, it is to be expected that stress is a major focal point. One can easily ignore that to befriend him."

"That is not kind, mama," George said, drinking from his cup.

"How could we form a bond past a mere acquaintance if there is not much we know about him aside from their main characteristic," Jane commented.

"Which is?"

"Their richness, Georgie. Is what holds more meaning for our town and our modern society."

"Still, neither of you can deny your curiosity towards the reason why Mr. Hardy fell ill out of the sudden," Mrs. Barnes concluded. "It is our duty as neighbors to take care of each other."

"My love, you must ask Mr. Allen if the topic causes intrigue."

"Oh, Mr. Barnes, what a perfect idea! Tomorrow morning, we will wait for him in the Pump Room."

"Mr. Allen has proven to be a delightful company," Mary mentioned. "He has many anecdotes to tell from the capital or university. Though Mr. Hardy stays silent most of the time, hopefully he is in good health."

"I doubt it is anything to be worried about," Jane sighed. "Do not be too disappointed when Mr. Allen explains it is just an innocent cold or low sugar drop."

Henry cleared his throat and waved at Mrs. Barnes to get her attention. "Mama, remember tomorrow I will go to a theatrical performance with The Young family out of Bath."

"Right, right. Give my gratitude to Mrs. Young, please."

He nodded, smiling to himself. Henry was deeply fond of theater, but he cared more to spend an entire day with his best friend. They would later remain analysing the plays with no signs of tiredness. He did his best to control his excitement so as to get a resting night of sleep and see Alexander soon.

━•❃°•°❀°•°❃•━

When Mr. Allen sat with The Barnes, it was after breakfast, yet he felt utterly fatigued. His eyes thought it was best if they remained closed (against his better judgement, he contradicted that wish) and his head did not seem to cease hammering any time soon. Despite the protests of his mind and body, with a fierce cup of black tea to fuel his spirit, Arthur placed his sunshine facade at public display.

"Good morning, good morning!" Mrs. Barnes greeted him. "It is a beautiful day! How are you, Mr. Allen?"

The gentleman straightened his back and smiled. "Good morning indeed. I am very well, thank you."

"And Mr. Hardy, how is he? I heard he looked quite pale. Is that the reason he decided not to join us?"

Arthur eyed down and stayed quiet for a moment, though his positive expression did not change. "He departed for London earlier today. I am sorry to inform you that the date of his return is unknown to me as he will be attending to his family."