══ Chapter Three ══

Jane visited her closest friend at tea time, because she had insisted they tried the pastries her husband had brought from London. June, as always, was fond of sweet desserts, and could not wait to share them with the eldest Barnes following their efforts on the eventful evening they spent with the pair of wealthy cousins. Both women settled comfortably in the drawing room side by side, a table in front of them with a chinese tea pot and a fountain of pastries that smelled too wonderful to be true.

"It astonished me to know that Mr. Hardy and Mr. Allen are single with thirty-three and thirty-two respectively. What a curious thing it is to be a man, I tend to forget the freedom they are born with. Many ladies must be waiting behind them!"

"An irresponsible behaviour. Prideful minds. And for a lady to implore a gentleman... We should never reduce ourselves to such actions!"

"Jane! Those words are too harsh coming from you! I did not expect my friend, of all people, to express her opinion on marriage so severely."

"Well for Mr. Allen, it may have been a personal choice to stay unmarried, looking for the correct woman that would connect with him. This is a feeling I can most relate to, as I seek the same in a husband prospect. However, Mr. Hardy's decision..."

June grabbed a chocolate filled sweet bun. "His income surely has not stopped ladies from showing interest in him. And being the son of a nobleman? That is almost like marrying royalty!"

"His decision is crowded with narcissism, lack of empathy and discourteous manners. These would have scared away any marriage proposal."

"Perhaps Mr. Hardy just needs a good woman by his side to improve his character," June finished, sipping her jasmine tea.

━•❃°•°❀°•°❃•━

Days later, during a Saturday morning, Mr. Hardy was reading a book under the same tree he was the last time in Sydney Gardens. He enjoyed the sunlight caressing his skin, reminding him that warmth could be found in the easiest ways and in the most common situations. He had not had his breakfast yet but it did not bother him, he was accustomed to it, even though Arthur never ceased to mention how one must never skip their meals. Thomas did not hear the steps coming closer until a silvery voice was directed at him. Miss Jane had called his name. She was approaching with her brother Edmund. Against his comfort, it was better for him to stand up. Solitude should have lasted longer.

"Is it a habit of yours to read under this tree, Mr. Hardy?" Jane interrupted his privacy.

"Since coming here, it has become one."

"Good morning, Mr. Hardy," Eddie intervened. "Oh, you are reading Mary Shelley's Frankenstein! I have gone through its pages more times than I can count since it was published not long ago!"

"Then I would ask you not to reveal anything to me," Thomas said. He then looked again at Jane. "Miss Barnes, I hope you had a nice time riding horses the other day. Mr. George mentioned it briefly the last time we met in the Pump Room."

Jane and Eddie's expression lit up. Her eyes seemed to reflect the sun. "Yes, I did indeed. Even won a race against all my little brothers there!"

"She has not stopped talking about it, Mr. Hardy. You would do good in never betting against her," Eddie complained.

"I will have that in mind, thank you."

Jane laughed; her brothers were always so bitter after a day of riding. Or losing. Especially if it was by her hand.

"You know how to ride a horse, Mr. Hardy?"

Thomas nodded. "I do. Horses have always represented comfort for me. We complement each other."