══ Chapter Seven ══

The event of that Friday afternoon did not require formal etiquette as it was a gathering between friends. A quarter and a half past four in the afternoon Jane and her brothers entered Allen Manor, finding themselves frozen in place. Despite the fact they had been there before, there was a unique and particular splendor in simplicity. The sun had not yet gone, so they were able to appreciate how it lightened the foyer, creating the illusion it was wider. There were long stairs leading to the upper floors and a single greek statue in the middle. As William observed, the curves of the goddess were comparable with the style of Milo. A servant welcomed and guided them to the most stunning drawing room they had ever seen. Mr. Allen and Mr. Hardy were there, laughing with appealing unrestricted freedom. On the pianoforte, two girls dressed in the finest fabric played a duet.

"You have arrived!" Arthur exclaimed, causing The Hardy's siblings to turn around.

"We hope you do not mind we brought a plus one," Jane gestured towards Alexander. "They come in pairs, always."

"Not at all," Thomas said, louder than intended.

"We too come in pairs," George and Mary mentioned.

"The more the merrier, is what my dear papa says!" Mr. Allen rejoiced and then approached the young Hardy twins, laying his hands on top of their heads. "Allow me to introduce these ladies. Elizabeth on the left, and Victoire on the right."

"Pleased to make your acquaintance!" they exclaimed in unison. "Brother has told us a lot about you all! Especially...!"

Thomas cleared his throat, causing his sisters to close their mouths but smile with their eyes, as if sharing a little secret.

"Who is hungry then?" Arthur asked, leading the way to the dining room.

The ambience was filled with coziness and comfort, the dishes served at dinner warmed them and laughs were exchanged. It felt familiar. The twins found Jane quite entertaining, eager to hear everything she was willing to share. They would think about the most peculiar questions. Mr. Hardy had to intervene some times to remind his sisters to pause and eat the dishes filling the large table. Truth to be told, Jane did not feel the need to complain, so she guided the conversation back to where they left it.

"Have you ever considered riding while fencing?"

Jane could hear Mr. Hardy's sigh next to her, while she focused on the curious expressions of the girls. "Well...I must admit that thought has never crossed my mind."

"Would it not be interesting to attempt?"

"Not at your age, ladies," Thomas commented.

"You are no fun, brother!" Victoire protested, crossing her arms.

"Now I am intrigued," Jane said. "However, we may ride as it is usually done first. Swords could, or not, come later in life," she inclined her body to the front to get closer to them in a confidential manner. "Gentlemen must not monopolize all the fun, right?"

Arthur would later that night mention to his cousin that was the line that enchanted the little girls.

After dessert was concluded, they moved again to the spacious drawing room. Henry realised there were glasses of wine for them on a tall table in the corner, near the brown sofa. He grabbed two of them and proceeded to sit, signaling Alexander to do the same, never breaking eye contact. Nonetheless, his path was cut by the appearance of the twins, who gleefully made themselves comfortable at both of Henry's sides. Alexander did his best to contain his smile, extending his hand for his best friend to give one of the wine glasses to him.

"You have the most pleasing eyes, Henry," Lizzie confessed.

"And your hair looks ravishing!" Victoire added.