20. Beneath the Tree's Branches

Firmin waited in the ballroom restlessly. They had decided not to be seen coming in together, so here he waited.

It was a grand festival. With lights hung up, music from all corners, and a huge hall. Tables lined the walls, stacked with platters and amphoras. Firmin waited close by the entrance, waiting for Reina.

Surely, she'd have no problem entering as the shadow.

"I'm surprised to see you here, Firmin." It was Roxanne. She was dressed in a soft pink dress, matching her rosy cheeks. Her hair was a complication of chestnut layers. He wondered how Reina's hair would look like if they were styled like that.

Firmin tipped his head towards her, hoping that Reina would not yet appear.

Roxanne had her hands folded. "Perhaps if you haven't yet found a partner—I'm still waiting on Carson—we could have a quick dance?"

Carson. "Yes, well, I didn't really come here to dance," he lied, smiling at her, feeling stupid. He should just dance with her, but he was too stiff with nervousness and afraid he would miss Reina when she came in.

Roxanne looked him up and down. His black velvet clothes lined with silver, shined boots, ruffled sleeves—his clothes were obviously too fancy to not be dancing. Heat came to his cheeks.

"Of course. Oh look, there he is!"

She turned.

Carson himself was dressed finely, with his sandy brown hair combed back and being dressed in colors of deep blue. He extended his white gloved hand towards Roxanne and bowed.

"Might I have a dance with this beautiful lady? Unless, of course, another has already claimed her."

Roxanne didn't speak so Firmin shook his head. "No, you needn't worry."

Roxanne chuckled and took Carson's hand.

Carson turned to Firmin and nodded. "It's good to see you here, Firmin."

That was the first in a long time. The first words spoken to him without immediate blame or contempt. Firmin smiled and nodded. He wanted to say something but only glanced back to the door and the people that kept entering the room.

Roxanne's gaze dragged as Carson led her into the throng of dancing people.

Firmin himself felt slightly unnerved in this great crowd. How would he be able to keep Reina calm?

A vibrant green caught his attention and he turned. He gasped as a beautiful woman walked down the stairs.

"Reina," he breathed.

Her shoulders were bare, but the gown she wore was long. The tailor had added black lacing up the hem of her skirt, in little flowers as if she was walking through a field and they clung to the fabric. Firmin smiled. He'd told him to lace the bottom in black, but the tailor had come up with his own idea on how to make it all flow nicely.

Reina's hair was left open, but very combed and shiny, with tiny silver threads in her tresses that he had selected for her. He just wished he could see her face beneath the thick veil.

He swallowed as she came closer, feeling like an angel was calling him to ascend into the very heavens.

"My lady, I am sure if I were to see your face I would blow away completely."

A light chuckle from behind the veil. Firmin sucked in a breath and bowed. Her delicate fingers slipped into his. She wasn't wearing her purple gloves, but Firmin didn't mind as he held her white hand, as he wasn't wearing any gloves himself.