Chapter 2- The Ball

The days passed in a blur and soon it was the Alpha's daughter's birthday. Julian and I had gone to Beth's house an hour before the starting time of the ball to get ready as she was lending us her father's and her clothes to us. We were much too poor to afford the luxury of owning a suit or a dress.

"Oh. My. God. Jules, you are to die for! You look like a freaking gorgeous princess!" Beth gasped as I emerged from her bathroom after changing into the dress she had lent me. It was a strapless, long chiffon ball gown of different shades of blue, with sparkling jewels running through. It was beautiful.

I stared at the reflection in the full length mirror in front of me. Beth had curled my brown hair slightly at the ends but otherwise had just let it take its own natural shape. I had refused to put on any make up. Didn't want to look like I was trying too hard, did I? The girl in the mirror did not look excited at all. Instead she looked tired and worn out, her pale green eyes staring back at her. But there was a fire in them, that was burning like hot flame.

I sighed. " Thanks Beth, I wouldn't know what I would do without you. By the way, you look beautiful." Beth had on a knee length, sunflower yellow one-strap dress, that was beaded at the waist and her strawberry blonde hair was braided into a side braid. She had only applied on a slight coating of make up, but she looked like an angel.

Just then, my brother burst into Beth's room. "Hey girls are you're ready to go now-" He exclaimed before suddenly stopping at staring at Beth. I swear that guy always had a slight crush on her but never took any action, as human relationships were forbidden until the age of 30, in case any human was a werewolf mate. Beth blushed cutely, looking down, a faint smudge of pink on her cheeks. I was always jealous of her blush, whenever I blushed my whole face turned as red as a tomato. Literally. I thought that those two were such a cute couple, Julian in his black and white tux and Beth in her yellow dress.

"Yes dear brother? What were you saying before you suddenly stopped to stare at Beth like an idiot?" I teased Julian. He broke out of his staring and cleared his throat awkwardly. "Uhh... Oh I was asking whether we should go now as the ball is starting soon. I can already see people lining outside the city hall from the window. Don't want to be late and get more attention from any of them you know?"

"Oh shit let's go before any of the mutts give us trouble." I grabbed my sneakers from the floor and pulled them on. "Julie! You can't wear sneakers to the party!" Beth groaned as it that was the most horrible thing anyone could do.

"Oh chill Beth, it's not like anyone can see what shoes i'm wearing. My dress will cover everything up anyways. And there is no way I will wear high heels to a party that ends at 1am that I would probably have to stand for the whole time. That's worse than torture."

Beth sighed. "Let's just go." She huffed while dragging me out of her bedroom.
...............................................................................
When it was finally our turn to register our attendance, the big burly bodyguard that was for sure one of the dogs growled out.
"Names?"
"Julie and Julian of the Houston household." Julian answered.

The bodyguard scanned through the clipboard and placed a tick next to our names before growling out, "Next!"

I stared at the brown oak doors of the building and was seriously tempted to run away, but Julian took my hand into a firm grip and dragged me into the building.

"Calm down Julie. Just endure it for a few hours and we'll leave as soon as the clock strikes twelve okay?"

"What if any of us find out we are a mate to one of those dogs?" My voice trembling. I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

I would rather die, than be a human mate.

"I don't know Jules, I don't know. But we'll get through this together. I promise." Julian hugged me tightly, whispering softly to me.