chapter 4

Permafrost and Crystal were flying back home from the market island, their wings beginning to feel weary from the flight, the sun was inching its way lower in the sky by the time they touched down on the Arctic isles, the chill of the iceberg beneath him comforting him the same way a warm blanket might another dragon.

"So what shall we do now?" Crystal asked, her slightly high pitched voice breaking him free of his calm, his wings tensed by his side as he cast a narrow-eyed glance sideways at her.

"How about you leave me alone. I don't need you following me around and annoying me, all the frost-blasted time!" He snapped, keeping his voice low as to not be overheard, he lowered it further still to growl the next bit at her. "Why don't you just tell my parents I would rather bake to death in the sun than marry the likes of you..."

Hurt flashed in her eyes and she opened her mouth to protest but he cut her off. "Tell them that if they want any luck on making me marry anyone that they better assign someone more quieter... like a librarian..."
He couldn't help a slight flush, that was a bit too on the nose wasn't it...

Crystal tipped her head to the side, casting him a thoughtful look, he didn't even know she was capable of looking like that. "A librarian huh...?" Her mouth cracked through then into a smirk. "Like Quartz?"

He turned away so she wouldn't see the flush that went over his face. "I was just meaning in general! Librarians literal job is to keep quiet."

Crystal's face was still held in a teasing smirk when he glanced back, he barred his teeth at her.

"I mean I wouldn't blame you, Quartz is pretty great..." she spoke then, her gaze going distant. "Very studious, focused."

"Yeah, she's the exact opposite of you." Permafrost spoke, sweeping away from her majestically.

"I don't want to be enemies with you Permafrost." Crystal mumbled as she trailed along, her expression more subdued, almost sad. "You seem nice to be around when you're with your friends."

He ignored her, stalked towards the palace, it was carved from one of the hugest chunks of iceberg, towering high above every other building, the second largest was the library only a short walk and even shorter glide from his room's window.

He felt his wings snap into place as he crossed under the large entrance, he unconsciously reached a talon up to smooth back the fluff on his head, holding his head high, Crystal had shifted to a more regal walk as well instead of her normal skip-canter that she moved with.  

The Winterhorn library was said to be the largest library in the kingdoms of Palera, holding vast collections of knowledge dating back far, some scrolls and carved stone slabs he even believed might be from before the iceberg landed at the archipelago.

Some of the history contained in the library were about the other tribes, like he knew of one from Queen Lily herself, or so it was labeled, telling some about her mysterious reign with her mate queen Glory ruling alongside her, she was rumored to have one day disappeared with her mate, leaving the Rosewing tribe leaderless, her younger brother Oak ended up having to take charge in her unexpected absence.

"Greetings Crystal dear." A sharp voice spoke, it was slightly softer directed at Crystal of course, Permafrost glanced over as calmly as he could maintain, his mother stood a little ways ahead in the corridor her gaze snapped to look over her son as he slowly approached. "Hello Permafrost."

He did have to give himself credit, he managed not to flinch at the coldness of her tone nowadays, so that was a improvement. "Greetings mother." He spoke with a dip of his head, a show of respect.

"You seem to be in a frosty mood." Blizzard remarked, staring down her nose at him.

He shifted ever so slightly on his feet, casting a side glance over at Crystal who met his gaze warily for a moment then drifted back to staring at his mother.