Secrets

Monday morning, Bucky and Jade walked into the compound in silence. They split off to their separate destinations without another word or glance at each other. Jade walked into the lab to find Steve waiting on her. She contemplated turning around and walking back out of the lab, but instead she straightened her back and headed to her desk. Maybe she had overreacted a bit after Steve dropped the L word on her. He didn't deserve her anger.

She wasn't actually angry at him, his feelings couldn't be controlled. Jade felt guilty about yelling at him and storming off. Just because her world felt like it was fracturing and changing drastically, wasn't a reason for Jade to make Steve the recipient of her frustrations. If there was one thing she had learned over the years it was that you can't help who you fall in love with.

"Good morning, Steve." Jade set her bag down on the desk and turned to look at him.

"I want to apologize. I shouldn't have—"

"No, I shouldn't have. I know you can't help how you feel and my reaction was rude and insensitive." Jade cut him off. She turned around and crossed her arms over her chest, eyes connecting with his. "I love you, Steve, but I'm not in love with you. I'm so sorry."

"Well, I'm sorry for the way I told you. Your world had been turned upside down and I couldn't have made it any easier. I'm not sorry for telling you, though. I meant what I said. I'm so in love with you that I don't know what to do with myself. I think about you all the time. I have imagined what it would be like to be with you."

"Steve, stop. Don't say anything else. I'm sorry, I really am, but I don't feel the same way. Can you accept that?"

Steve walked toward Jade until he was standing directly in front of her. He tilted her chin to make her look up at him.

"I don't know if I can, Jade. I haven't felt this way about a woman in a long time. You're my best friend and I don't want to lose you, but I want you to at least think about this. About us. I would do anything to make you happy and I would never hurt you. Please?" He caressed her cheek as he planted a soft kiss on the other. She turned her face from his hand, but he captured her chin between his thumb and pointer finger.

Jade had never seen Steve be so persistent. He was boarding on pushy. She tried turning from his grip, but he held her in place, so she cast her eyes down to avoid his stare.

"Please let me go, Steve." Her voice came out a soft whisper.

"Just think about it." Steve whispered back.

He backed away from her and turned towards the door to find Bucky leaned against the door frame.

"Oh, hey Buck."

Jade's eyes shot up to see Bucky with his jaw clenched and arms crossed tightly over his chest.

Shit.

"Am I interrupting?" He asked in a harsh tone.

"No. We were done. Come on, let's go train." Steve said, walking towards him.

"I'll meet you down there. Feeling a little dizzy, I need the doc to check me out." Bucky's tone was dripping with malice.

Steve nodded and took a look back at Jade before exiting the room.

Once Steve was down the hall, Bucky turned and walked next door to the exam room. Jade had to force her feet to move. Her mind was racing knowing Bucky was going to be angry about what he walked in on. Jade grabbed her lab coat that contained her stethoscope and followed Bucky into the room.

"Guess you've had a good morning." Bucky said sarcastically.

Jade avoided his gaze as she wrapped a blood pressure cuff around his right bicep. They had spent the weekend in Bucky's bed whispering 'I love you' and exploring each other's bodies. It had been everything Jade had wanted for the past three years. One misinterpreted moment with Steve and her good mood had been soured.