Abilities

Jade walked into the training room expecting to find Wanda waiting on her, but instead found an empty room. She walked across the gym to the wall of mirrors and sat facing it. She crossed her legs and rested her hands on her knees. Jade had been doing breathing exercises each morning and night, hoping to get a tighter grip on whatever had taken hold of her cells.

With closed eyes, Jade decided to try something new to test her abilities. She brought a picture of the gym to her mind. All of the equipment was sitting untouched, waiting to be used. She focused on a dumbbell sitting on the top of the weight rack. She imagined it lifting and floating across the room to gently sit on the floor next to her. She opened her eyes and saw the weight slowly moving towards her in the mirror.

Everything was going fine until the gym door burst open. Jade lost her focus and the weight began careening towards her out of control. Before the weight could smash into the mirror, red swirls of light surrounded it and brought it to a halt, dropping a foot from the mirror. Jade twisted to look behind her and saw Wanda crossing the mats to sit across from her, a smile spread across her face.

"I missed you. I'd give you a hug, but I don't want to push you." Wanda said.

"You can hug me. I can handle it."

Without hesitation, Wanda leaned on her knees to pull Jade into a tight hug.

"I was so worried about you. Things haven't been the same."

"I don't know if they'll ever be the same again, but I think everything will be okay. With your help of course."

Wanda released Jade and sat back on the mat.

"You can do this. You're strong."

Wanda stood and had Jade sit on the mat as she was when she had first entered the gym.

"These powers are scary. You can hurt or kill with them. If you let them take control of you, there will be destruction and death."

"Not making me feel any better, Wands." Jade squeezed her closed eyes tighter.

"I'm only speaking the truth, Jade." Wanda's accent became stronger as she became more serious. "Relax your body. Feel the power within you coursing through your veins. You can sense it trying to burst forth from you, but you can't let it. You are the dam. You control how much is released and when."

As Wanda spoke, she circled Jade. Wisps of navy light spun around Jade, but they were slow and controlled motions.

"We're going to start off with something easy. Imagine your powers forming a barrier in front of you. Shielding you from an attack."

Jade took a breath and brought forth an image of a glowing blue disc forming in front of her. She reached her hand out towards the mirror, eyes still closed, and focused on pushing the image from her mind into the physical world. Wanda watched as Jade's powers formed a bright blue disc in front of her. Jade was concentrating hard, so Wanda decided to test her.

Jade felt herself drifting as her body relaxed further. As she was holding her shield in front of her, she felt her skin prickle on the back of her neck. Something was approaching her from behind. She quickly imagined her shield shifting to cover her back and formed a barrier behind her against whatever was coming at her. Jade opened her eyes and looked into the mirrors to see Wanda concentrating a stream of powers at her. Wanda pushed her powers further, trying to break through Jade's shield, but Jade zeroed in on her shield and kept Wanda from breaking through.

Wanda spoke as she continued aiming at Jade.

"Use your powers to make me stop."

Jade's confidence wavered. She didn't want to hurt Wanda. It was fine to be on the defensive, but could she trust herself to go on the offensive? Jade took a breath and stood to face Wanda as she continued to shield herself. She closed her eyes again and focused on Wanda. She let herself drift again, imagining her shield hovering in front of her and having Wanda obey her every command. She reached out to Wanda's mind and slowly broke through the walls she was putting up.

Stop.

Jade commanded Wanda. Jade opened her eyes to see Wanda drop her hands and stand looking blankly across the room. She let her shield fall and focused on the grasp she had on Wanda's mind.

Kneel.

Jade gave another command. Wanda dropped to her knees, hands resting on her thighs. Jade decided to try one more command.

Leave the room.

Wanda stood with a blank look on her face and turned for the door. Once she exited the room, Jade removed herself from Wanda's mind and dropped her shield. She waited for Wanda to enter the room again.

"I felt you in my mind, Jade, but I couldn't fight against you." Wanda said as she re-entered the training room and came to a stop in front of Jade. "You are powerful. More powerful than I imagined, but I believe you are more than capable of handling it."

"So, what's our next move?" Jade asked.

"We need to head outside to the outdoor training area. We're going to work on using your powers in offensive attacks. Defending yourself and being able to control your enemies are wonderful, but you also need to be able to use your powers to attack. Are you ready for that?"

Wanda looked at Jade worriedly. She wanted to teach her friend how to keep control of her powers, but she was afraid that pushing her too much would result in another outburst of her power.

"I'm ready, Wanda. I want to live my life without fear of hurting or killing someone I love. I want...I want to be able to have a life with Bucky, but I can't fully do that unless I can control myself. I'll do anything."

Wanda smiled at Jade and wrapped her in a hug. She then motioned towards the door across the training room that would lead them outside. Jade had a long way to go, but Wanda had no doubts that her friend would conquer every obstacle that was thrown at her.