Followed

Jade and Steve finally left the city and headed back to the compound. Jade's issues with Bucky aside, she had fun hanging out with Steve. Jade softly smiled at Steve as his focus was trained on the road in front of them. Today reminded her of how their friendship used to be. Back before her life fell apart. It gave her hope that their friendship could survive the flames unscathed.

She looked out the window as the scenery changed from tall buildings and busy sidewalks to sprawling fields and tree laden forests. She glanced into the side mirror from time to time and noticed a black sedan with each glance. As Steve navigated the roads, she paid closer attention each time he took a turn or switched lanes. The sedan followed his moves as if there was a strap attached between the two cars.

Jade's heart rate increased as she watched the car follow them as they took the final turn towards the compound. There were no more turns that could be taken, they were now on a straight shot to the compound. They had been followed all the way from the city and she knew what they were after. She turned towards Steve, his brow pinched together and lips pressed into a hard line.

"Face forward and don't look back." He stated. "Text Tony and let him know that we've been followed and need the team to be ready."

Jade nodded and pulled her phone from her coat pocket. She typed out a quick text to Tony and then clicked on Bucky's name. There were so many messages from him that she had ignored. They started off asking where she was. Then moved on to him apologizing and asking if she had taken off. The last few said he hoped she had fun with Steve and that he needed to talk to her when she returned. Despite their fight, she wanted him to know what was going on.

Jade: Almost at compound. Being followed. Hydra.

Bucky: Just talked to Tony. I'm gearing up and I'll meet you out front. I love you, sugar.

Jade: I love you, too. Bucky, if something happens to me, just know that I'm sorry.

Bucky: Nothing is going to happen. You're going to be okay. I promise.

Jade began to bounce her leg as they neared the compound. Steve gently reached over and placed his palm on her knee, giving her a reassuring smile. When they were five miles from the compound, the sedan began to pick up speed. Steve pressed on the accelerator and sped down the tree lined road towards home. The sedan came roaring up beside Steve's truck and tried forcing him off the road, but he evaded the attempt and pressed the accelerator down to the floor.

"Hold on to something!" He yelled over the roaring engine.

Jade's right hand shot up to the safety handle above her head while the left grabbed onto the center console. The compound finally came into view and Jade was met with a heavenly sight. The front of the compound was lined with Avengers ready for a fight. Bucky and Tony stood in front of Wanda, Vision, Sam, Nat, Clint, Bruce, and Thor. She felt the corners of her mouth turn upwards as Steve came to a screeching halt in front of the group.

Jade hopped out of the car and began walking to the sedan, which had come to a stop about thirty feet behind Steve's truck. As she walked past Steve, he reached for her, but she twisted from his grip. The doors of the sedan opened and two men emerged. She recognized the brunette as one of the first agents she met during her time at Hydra. He had been third in command after the agent she had killed and her father. The other was a shorter, skinnier blonde who looked terrified at Jade's rather calm approach. Hydra must really be hurting for recruits if this was their pick of the litter.

Jade could hear footsteps coming from behind her, but she continued advancing on the two agents until she was ten feet from them. She allowed her powers to flow freely and felt her feet lift from the ground. Blue swirls orbited her body as she floated in front of the two men. The blonde looked horrified at the scene in front of him. Even the brunette let a look of panic ripple across his face before setting his mouth back into a hard line.