Chapter 1: Emery's POV

"Fuck! Fuck! Fuck!" i scramble around my room tearing open boxes attempting to find my favourite jeans. "i swear i put them in one of these!!"

I just moved to a new neighbourhood in another town, 3087 miles away from my old home. It's barely been a week and my parents are already sending me off to my new high school.

I've was homeschooled in my old town which lead to me having absolutely no one to miss me when i moved. I'm happy that no one will miss me because i know how it feels when your best friend moves away.

I was born in Green rock, a small town practically in the middle of nowhere. Growing up everyone knew everyone, but most of all i knew Kai.

I met Kai before i could take my first steps, let alone talk. Our moms were best friends in university meaning automatically Kai and i became best friends.

I'm an only child, so Kai was like a brother to me. He was a year older and protected me fiercely. i wish i could have done the same for him.

Kai's dad died when he turned 12 and not long after his mom decided it was best for them to start over in a new place.

I was devastated when he left. Not only did i lose my best friend, but also my "older brother". We completely lost contact after he moved, and i haven't heard from him since.

• • •

"EMERY STEWART COME DOWN STAIRS RIGHT NOW!!!" shit i'm gonna be late. "coming mom one sec!!" Fuck where are my stupid jeans??

"mom do you know which box my clothes are in?!?" i yelled "check under the bed" my moms voice echoed up the stairs.

Getting down on my hands and knees i pulled out the 2 boxes under my bed. "FINALLY!!" I slipped on my jeans and pulled a dark hoodie over my head.

Running down the stairs into the kitchen, my mom and dad were eating breakfast at the table. "please try and make some new friends, we worry about you." dad said looking up from the newspaper.

My mom smiled, "We love you sweetie, i hope you have an amazing day at school!". I buried my face in her shoulder as she stroked my long brown hair the same as hers.

Inhaling her warm smell, my nerves died down. "Ok i love you both, i'll see you after school" I kissed my dad on the cheek and rushed out the door while slipping my converse on.

I ran to school terrified i would be late for my first day at Silverwood High. Rounding the corner, relief poured out of me seeing kids still outside and not in class yet.

Walking to the entrance , i had never seen so many teenagers in one place at once. My heart sped up, i thought it would burst out of my chest. Taking a few deep breaths, and a pep talk by yours truly i entered the looming building.

After what seemed like forever, i finally found the office. "you must be the new student?" My head snapped in the direction of the voice, my eyes landing on a short older lady sitting behind the desk.

"i don't bite dear...come over and pick up your schedule and locker number and be on your way." Grabbing the sheet of paper, i thanked her and made my way out of the office and into the tsunami of kids.

"304, 305, 306...finally 307!!" Placing my bag on the ground i reached for the lock.

"Emery?"

Confusion took over as i turned to see who could possibly know my name. Familiar warm, brown eyes met mine, widening slightly in surprise.

"Kai?!"

Authors Note: This is my first story on wattpad!! All characters and story line are mine as well as places. I know it's not very good but thanks for reading anyway. If you're from my school, i swear i'm not crazy!! Anyways thank you my lovely's🤍
-K
word count: 675