Wrong Demon

Maybe this was a bad idea.

She really shouldn't be doing this right now.

But here she was, inside her small and tight bedroom in a run-down apartment complex located in the shady parts of the neighborhood. Doing what, exactly?

Trying to summon a demon at 3 AM.

You might think "Why!? That's a terrible idea!"

And indeed it is. But, at the time, Jennie thought it was a good idea. A very good one. One that she soon regrets doing.

Jennie's not living a great life. She was completely broke and her parents didn't care. Heck, Jennie can't even afford to go to college. The brunette's making ends meet by working several odd jobs and doing drawing commissions for strangers on the internet.

She has seen better days, back when her parents were actually still kind enough to transfer her money every couple of months, back when Jennie could at least rest for a few hours. But now, she can't even do that.

It's nearing the end of the month, and she is low on money. It's possible that she won't even be able to pay for the rent, she would be kicked out and forced to live on the streets with rats and cockroaches to keep her company.

Jennie was desperate. She was trying to find any sort of way to make more money without getting involved in criminal activity, it would only make everything worse for her.

One afternoon, Jennie was in the library looking for books to read. She could only be there for an hour or two since the brunette had some things to finish with her clients. She was at the back when she found a book that was lying down on one of the tables.

Curious, and since no one else was there, Jennie picked it up. Skimming through, she realizes it was a book about... demons? Specifically, about the seven deadly sins, the different demons, and most importantly, how to summon one.

The brunette scans the pages more carefully until she reaches a page that was talking about summoning a demon that could help people with financial issues. It's just like what Jennie has been looking for. But, is this even real?

It could be a fantasy book. Jennie could accidentally trigger Armageddon by summoning the wrong kind of demon. Anything could go wrong.

But at this point, Jennie had no other options. It was either summoning a demon, becoming a criminal, or becoming homeless. The first option was the safest (not really). And so, the brunette bought six black candles and enough salt to make a pentagram. It was said that the best chance of successfully summoning a demon was at 3 AM.

Jennie gulps as she places the sixth candle at the center of the salt pentagram. A razor blade on her right and her notes (she wrote them down really quickly since she couldn't bring the book back with her). She lit up the five candles that were surrounding the pentagram before looking at her note to see what she needed to say.

It was quite dark and her handwriting was absolute garbage. But she began chanting in Latin as she closes her eyes. Once it was done, the brunette takes the razor blade and shakily cut herself on her finger, creating a small but bleeding wound.

Carefully, her finger hovers over the sixth unlit candle. A single blood drop landed on the candle, and all of the sudden, all the other candles went out and the room began to shake. Terrified, Jennie crawled back as the room shook more and the candles disappeared. A portal opened and Jennie closed her eyes.

Slowly, the shaking and noises stopped. Jennie opened her eyes to see a woman standing where the pentagram used to be. She had black horns with thin white stripes, dark red eyes, black hair, lizard-like scaley spots on her skin, and a long thin black tail. But other than that, she looked surprisingly... human?