Err...?

I went to Ryan's house everyday after that and people... Or should I say our parents.... assumed we were together. No matter how many times I told them we're just friends and I didn't like him like that.

"You going to your boyfriends house?" My dad asked, winking at me as I took my car keys and walked to the front door.

I sighed. "Daddy, he's not my boyfriend. I'm going to see Abby. She's back from travelling."

I opened the door.

"Oh. Well your mother is going out to lunch with Ryan's mom tonight."

I froze.

"Why?" I questioned.

"They are good friends. I don't see anything wrong with it."

"As long as she doesn't try to marry me off to him."

"Is it such a bad thing if she does?"

I laughed. "You don't know the half of it, dad."

***

"What?" Aberdeen shouted.

"Yup. Marry me off to him."

"Wow. Hectic. And what does his boyfriend say to this?"

"Nothing. He doesn't know or shouldn't know. It's better if our partners don't know what's going on...I'm not even sure we know what's going on."

"Maybe you should come out now?"

"Errr...?" I blinked. "That's suicide, you know that right? It's like you telling your racist mom you're dating a black!"

"I am." She simply stated quietly.

"I'm sorry. I didn't hear you. Did you say you are?"

"Yeah...well technically he's half. You remember Tobias from high school?"

"Shut up!"

I was so shocked. Before I realised who I was, I always liked guys. They were still cute and whatever, but I liked them liked them back then. There were only two guys I really had a thing for and Tobias was one of them.

Religion, race, sexuality didn't matter to me. We were all human right?

Abby and Tobias....

"Next Tuesday it will be two weeks." She smiled.

"I'm so happy for you."

"You know he liked you back... And then he fell for me. He didnt want to upset you so he kept his distance from us. That's when I started getting feelings for him. I didn't want to hurt you so I kept it quiet. You should have heard how confused he was when I told him you have a girlfriend."

I laughed. "I can imagine. He would never have thought. It proves you can't judge a book by its cover... Or at all until you read it."

I smiled contently.

"You know men still smell good to me? They say that the scent of a male which entices a female means that he is fertile and can give her good children. It's strange because I want children and Leah and I are obviously gonna have to adopt one day if we've decided we are ready. I don't know what I'm going to do. What future do I have?"

"When you really want something you'll find a way. I mean my mom will never accept Tobias, but I'm willing to make it work."

Wise words from my best friend.

I must remember:

One day at a time.

"Thanks. It's crazy how people judge one another. Don't we learn to love thy neighbour?" I said.

Aberdeen shifted in her seat at the coffee shop where we were at. I put the mug to my lips and drank the coffee I ordered,

"I don't think the bible meant that kind of love though..."

"Love is supposed to be unconditional. It doesn't matter who you love. It's not supposed to matter."

"I know. I get it. But listen Hailey you can't keep it a secret forever. Love in this world is hard, you have to fight for what you want. You have to be strong enough to break past the barrier separating people. People kill and condemn each other because of differences. There are only a few that really have the courage to risk it all. I believe that if you and Leah's relationship is strong than it can overcome anything."

I stared at her awestruck. She understood.

If a war broke out and I was given the choice to fight, then fighting was what I was going to do.

I just didn't know that I was going to be thrown into a bloody game where I could lose everyone that was close to me...