Chapter 10: A New Clarity

Falco

A new day, a new fresh start. One small victory against Gabi, however rewarding, would do little in the long run.

Falco pushed himself to the limit, as per usual. When Gabi pointed out the unneeded effort, her voice was not one he recognised. The light, teasing tone filled with incontrovertible confidence had been replaced with something colder, haughty – did she see him as such a threat? In a way, that was progress. In another way, that made him miserable.

Within the warrior candidates, a new string of tension emerged. Udo and Zofia were slower to catch on, but when their jests, so often light hearted, resulted in him and Gabi pointedly looking away, it was obvious.

By lunch, accusations flowed. "I know you're cheating."

"How would I cheat at running?"

Gabi's face soured, spluttering indignantly. "I don't – you're always running off on your own! The moment we get back to the internment zone, you're sneaking off! Not to mention how weird you've been acting! I know something is going on!"

His eyes darted to the floor. "That's..."

"Come on Gabi, maybe he just goes to the library or something. It's not like we asked him." Udo interjected.

"She's just scared of loosing." Zofia hummed.

Gabi huffed. "I am not! Why would I be, I am leagues ahead, of all of you. He's just not acting right!"

Although it'd be easy to blow it off with Zofia's theory, Falco believed Gabi. With how weak he was, one race wouldn't magically make him a threat, and the brunette was smart enough to know that. Not to mention, he was fully aware of how erratic he'd been acting with all that'd happened in the last few months, constant swings between security and misery putting his mental state through a washing machine, bashing him around like an insignificant chore.

His grandfather wanted to move in. He wanted to live with them. For as long as Falco could remember, the man had always gotten what he wanted.

His lips pressed together, taking a steadying breath through his nose. He'd do better.

Training continued onto hand-to-hand combat. Determination fuelled him, knowing it to be one of his former weak points. After a reassuring win against Udo, Falco stood against Gabi. Despite his best efforts, he fell on his face as she pinned him down.

He still had so far to go, as he knew.

When training finally ended, he quickly ditched the other cadets with another excuse about forgetting something in a classroom (earning a dramatic huff from Gabi as she stomped off to catch Udo and Zofia) then left headquarters and headed back to Mr Kirstein's residence. The walk was far smoother this time as he could feel himself do a much better job of keeping his movements casual, no longer needing to peer at street signs for reassurance.

He knocked on the backdoor politely, stepping back to glance at the transom, trying to spot any shadows moving. A fruitless effort when the door was quickly pulled ajar to allow him to enter, Mr Kirstein holding it whilst looking down at him with a serious gaze.

Peering around the tall frame as Mr Kirstein stepped aside, Falco spotted two others in the room. More spies from Paradise, more supposed island devils.

The first was woman with dark brown hair pulled into an unkempt ponytail with a distinguishing eye patch under her glasses. To the side, a noticeably shorter man with jet-black hair leaned against the wall, staring him down with narrowed eyes. The feeling of being scrutinised instantly put Falco more on edge.